VMware Communities
whatdoido
Contributor
Contributor

Fedora14 host + phsyically converted Win7 fails to boot - 0xc0000225

I have a Dell Vostro 430 desktop, containing 2 disk: sda has Windows 7 64bit and sdb has my Fedoca installation.

I used VM vCenter Converter 4.3 (running on Win7) to convert the local phsyical machine to be my guest OS. I had to restrict the size of the volume (the original Win7 volume was 135GB and I specifed a maximum disk size of 80GB to space on my linux host)

I am running vmplayer 3.1.2 on 64bit Fedora 14 but the guest Win7 OS fails to boot, hitting the BSOD before vmplayer drops back into the boot sequence again - I am unable to see the BSOD's error code as vmplayer recycles too quickly but on the next boot the Windows boot manger reports:

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

I have tried booting the Win7 dvd through vmplayer to let the windows automatically fix this but that fails.

Has anyone seen/overcome this issue? Google reports this issue when people have resized the Windows paritions in WinXP etc. Attached is the vmx file for the guest OS.

From vmplayer, I am able to boot a live linux CD and can see that the partition tables (bootable partitions etc) match the real physical host from which it was converted.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
whatdoido
Contributor
Contributor

FIXED!

This seems to be caused by something in the Windows registry. The full writeup of the solution is here:

(The original link seems to have expired/moved so I will reproduce here)

# Mount the Win7 DVD in VMware Player and boot to it.

1. At the first screen (Language Selection), hit Shift-F10 for a command prompt.

2. Run Regedit.

3. Load the system hive from the VM's disk:

1. Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

2. File > Load Hive

3. Select < c: > \Windows\System32\config\system (name it something like "asdf")

4. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\asdf\ControlSet1\Services\intelide

5. Change the data for value "Start" from "3" to "0".

6. File > Unload Hive.

7. Exit regedit.

8. Reboot the VM.

Essentially, at step 4.2 we are opening the guest OS's registry SYSTEM hive entry (with the local reference of 'asdf') and making the change. Once you unload the hive you persist the changes to your guest OS's registry settings so be careful.

0 Kudos
rchin
Contributor
Contributor

crap if only I can get hold of the DVD, sigh

WS 6.5.1-126130 Host: Vista SP1 Guests: Ubuntu 8.04, XP
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

crap if only I can get hold of the DVD, sigh

Although it may be the preferred method compared to other methods nonetheless, you do not necessarily need the Windows 7 DVD or ISO Image to edit the Windows Registry.  This can be done a number of different ways, including downloading the Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day Trial ISO Image if you don't what to use an alternative method.  I've used the Offline NT Windows Password & Registry Editor [cd110511.zip (~3MB) - Bootable CD image. (md5sum: fe0d30a1c540ec6757e748c7c09e2e4f)] to do this, although you have to be very comfortable with the CLI to use this.

0 Kudos