VMware Cloud Community
t8z5h3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

updating from esxi 4.1 to esxi 4.1 update 1 using powercli

how do i install the esxi 4.1 update using powercli (powershell?)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Upgrading ESXi could be a problem if the patch file is too big, because there's no enough space in its tmp drive. So you could upload the patch on one of host's datastore and after that call the Install-VMHostPatch commandlet with HostPath parameter. See the third example here:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/PowerCLI41U1/html/Install-VMHostPatch.html

Vitali

PowerCLI Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First you will need to create or find the baseline that holds the 4.1U1.

Get-Basline -BaseLineType Upgrade

Afaik you can't create upgrade baselines with the cmdlets, you will have to do this from the vCenter client.

Once you have the baseline, you can use the Remediate-Inventory cmdlet to apply the upgrade

Remediate-Inventory -Entity $esx -Baseline $upg41u1 -RunAsync

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

t8z5h3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks... i jest used the vspire cli... it works and it's simple...

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It seems that the package for 4.1U1 needs to be loaded as a patch bundle, not as an upgrade bundle.

0 Kudos
t8z5h3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i tryed to update using the install-vmhost commandet but the command did take the command line but would fail to install... i did 2 other install with that command so i really think there is no way to do it by powercli... i really think they need a graphical way of doing it for people with out vcenter.

0 Kudos
arifrah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

which baseline you are refeering to? Can you please provide little details?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A baseline is a concept from Update Manager.

In short, it contains an upgrade for ESX(i) or a collection of patches for ESX(i), specific guest OSs or virtual appliances.

Currently you can only create a patch baseline, not an upgrade baseline, with the Update Manager snapin.

You import (vSphere client) or download (Download-Patch) the patches

Once you have the baseline defined, you can use it to apply to hosts, vms or virtual appliances.

One advantage of a baseline is that you a single name to work with instead of having to list all the patches involved.

But like I already said, the 4.1U1 upgrade seems to be packaged in a different way then other upgrades.

You will have to import it as a patch bundle.

If the patches haven't already been downloaded by a scheduled task, you can do so with the Download-Patch.

Once you have the patches in the Update Manager repository you can define the baseline(s) with New-PatchBaseline.

Note, that the 4.1U1 bundle also contains some extensions, you will have to define a separate baseline for those.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Upgrading ESXi could be a problem if the patch file is too big, because there's no enough space in its tmp drive. So you could upload the patch on one of host's datastore and after that call the Install-VMHostPatch commandlet with HostPath parameter. See the third example here:

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/PowerCLI41U1/html/Install-VMHostPatch.html

Vitali

PowerCLI Team

0 Kudos