VMware Cloud Community
nkretschmar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quick boot via PowerCLI on HPE Proliants

Hi folks,

just wondering, if there is any way to initiate a host reboot, utilizing the ESX quick boot feature, of course via PowerCLI or another programatic call.

Regards,

Nico

References

Understanding ESXi Quick Boot Compatibility (52477) (vmware.com)

Document - Notice: (Revision) VMware - vSphere Quick Boot Hardware Support for HPE ProLiant Gen9/Gen...

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
nkretschmar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the great resource. And it clarifies how the quick boot works internally. It just a bypass to the hardware boot and it seems to reboot only the kernel and its modules.

Apart from patching, I had to change a setting of a driver module on a longer list of hosts, which required a reboot.

Anyway, I was only interested if there is a way to initiate it out of band and it seems it is more a preparation rather than an initiating the quick boot by using following cheating (taken from the provided document)

# Check the quick boot support
/usr/lib/vmware/loadesx/bin/loadESXCheckCompat.py

# Enable the quick boot
/bin/loadESXEnable -e

# Prepare the quick boot
/usr/lib/vmware/loadesx/bin/loadESX.py

# Reboot with standard tools like DCUI, ESXi shell, vSphere...

# Verify the result of the quick boot
cat /scratch/vmware/loadESX/loadESX.stats

PS: @LucD Is there an attribute to show at least the Quick Support of certain hosts?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can check if an ESXi node supports QuickBoot (not if it is enabled) with

Get-VMHost |
Select Name,@{N='QuickBoot';E={$_.ExtensionData.Capability.quickBootSupported}}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik as I know Quick Boot is a feature for use by VUM, not sure what would be the advantage for a user calling this directly.

From the Dell  Quick Boot on Dell PowerEdge servers whitepaper you can use it on a standalone ESXi node (see section 5.3).
It would require sending those commands via for example an SSH session to the ESXi node.

I assume that the same procedure should also work for an HPE platform, provided it supports Quick Boot.

nkretschmar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the great resource. And it clarifies how the quick boot works internally. It just a bypass to the hardware boot and it seems to reboot only the kernel and its modules.

Apart from patching, I had to change a setting of a driver module on a longer list of hosts, which required a reboot.

Anyway, I was only interested if there is a way to initiate it out of band and it seems it is more a preparation rather than an initiating the quick boot by using following cheating (taken from the provided document)

# Check the quick boot support
/usr/lib/vmware/loadesx/bin/loadESXCheckCompat.py

# Enable the quick boot
/bin/loadESXEnable -e

# Prepare the quick boot
/usr/lib/vmware/loadesx/bin/loadESX.py

# Reboot with standard tools like DCUI, ESXi shell, vSphere...

# Verify the result of the quick boot
cat /scratch/vmware/loadESX/loadESX.stats

PS: @LucD Is there an attribute to show at least the Quick Support of certain hosts?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can check if an ESXi node supports QuickBoot (not if it is enabled) with

Get-VMHost |
Select Name,@{N='QuickBoot';E={$_.ExtensionData.Capability.quickBootSupported}}

0 Kudos