VMware Cloud Community
mars0077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Powercli Script Output

Hi guys,

I have a script that I'm basically using to perform an NTP server, Service and Policy check against our ESX hosts. The script works well and does what I needed to do. Once the script completes, it sends me an e-mail with the information that I am requesting.

The challenge I am having is that if I manually execute it, I am able to receive the content properly formatted as expected. However, if the Windows scheduled task executes the same script, the content of the mail gets truncated and is no longer formatted properly.

How can I ensure that the content will remain the same regardless if Windows task scheduler is executing the script?

See attached examples.

Here's the script I am using. I have modified it with fake information.

##This script will generate an NTP report for all clusters and ESX hosts.

##Load all VMware related snap-ins

#Add-PSSnapin VMware.VimAutomation.Core

Get-Module –ListAvailable VM* | Import-Module

##vCenter connection information

$vcenter = ''vcenter'

$vcenteruser = 'abc123@somecomp.com'

$vcenterpw = '*******'

##Connects to all vCenter instances

Connect-VIServer $vcenter -User $vcenteruser -Password $vcenterpw

##This script will query all ESX servers across all sites for NTP configured values and service status

#$NTPCheck = Get-VMHost *|Sort Name|Select Name, @{N="NTPServer";E={$_ |Get-VMHostNtpServer}},@{N="ServiceRunning";E={(Get-VmHostService -VMHost $_ | Where-Object {$_.key -eq 'ntpd'}).Running}},@{N="Policy";E={(Get-VmHostService -VMHost $_ | Where-Object {$_.key -eq 'ntpd'} | Select -ExpandProperty Policy)}} | ft -AutoSize

$NTPCheck =Get-Cluster * | Get-VMHost *|Sort Name|Select Name, @{N=“NTPServer“;E={$_ |Get-VMHostNtpServer}},@{N=“SvcRunning“;E={(Get-VmHostService -VMHost $_ |Where-Object {$_.key-eq “ntpd“}).Running}},@{N=“Policy”;E={(Get-VmHostService -VMHost $_ | Where-Object {$_.key-eq “ntpd“} | Select -ExpandProperty Policy)}} | ft Name, NTPServer, SvcRunning, Policy -autosize

##Parameters being used for mail SMTP configuration and e-mail addresses

$SendFrom = 'abc123@somecomp.com'

$SendTo = 'abc123@somecomp.com'

$Smtp = 'smtpsomething.something.com'

send-mailmessage -to $sendTo -from $sendFrom -Subject 'NTP Status Report' -smtpserver $smtp -body ($NTPCheck | out-string)

Disconnect-VIServer -server $vcenter -confirm:$false

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you already try adding the Width parameter on the Out-String cmdlet?

Send-MailMessage -To $sendTo -From $sendFrom -Subject 'NTP Status Report' -SmtpServer $smtp -Body ($NTPCheck | Out-String -Width 132)

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you already try adding the Width parameter on the Out-String cmdlet?

Send-MailMessage -To $sendTo -From $sendFrom -Subject 'NTP Status Report' -SmtpServer $smtp -Body ($NTPCheck | Out-String -Width 132)

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
mars0077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Luc!! That did the trick!

0 Kudos