VMware Cloud Community
gamename
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disk Size Display Confusion

Hi,

I'm completely confused about what vSphere is showing vs what PowerCLI is telling me. To begin, PowerCLI shows what I expect for the disk size of a guest (~180G):

poweclidisksize.png

But, vCenter says I am using about 310G:

vcenterviewofvmguestdisk.jpg

How can that be?

-T

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I do take an occasional nap :smileygrin:

I agree with , Thin is not a bad idea, just remember that there are extra points to pay attention to.

Make sure to check the overcommitment and how much free space is left regularly.

But scheduling and distributing such a report is quite easy with PowerCLI.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you by any chance using Thin provisioning ?

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's certainly possible because the VM has an active snapshot, so the Used storage shows the sum of the base virtual disk plus the space used by the snapshot.

André

gamename
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Luc,

Yes, it is thin.  Is that a bad idea?  Its certainly confusing.

(PS - Do you ever sleep?:))

0 Kudos
rtunisi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if you are using thin, there will be differences in provisionedSpace Size and usedSpace Size...on thick allocation, both will have the same values

When using snapsnots, the values will show the used size and plus the size of all disk deltas (as André said above)

about thin allocation:

not that this is a bad idea, the drawbacks on thin allocation lies at the more administrative overhead on your datastores. Some experts say thats a little bit of performance loss on thin allocation, which is a very discussable topic... you might want to find some articles about (try at Cormac Hogan blog. He's THE storage guy when the subject is virtualization).

and btw, dont think mr LucD Sleeps at all Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I do take an occasional nap :smileygrin:

I agree with , Thin is not a bad idea, just remember that there are extra points to pay attention to.

Make sure to check the overcommitment and how much free space is left regularly.

But scheduling and distributing such a report is quite easy with PowerCLI.

0 Kudos