VMware Networking Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OSPF Area ID

Dear Team,

Does Area ID should be the same on Firewall/Upstream router and Tier 0 or it's should be different?

We can set any Aread ID or we need to Network team for the same.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShahabKhan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please find you answers inline.

It depends on your design. If you want to extend an area from a physical to a virtual environment, => does it mean physical and virtual will have the same area id in this case

Yes. Both virtual & physical can have same Area ID

. But if you are using any other Area ID in the virtual environment, then make sure it is directly connected to Area 0.  => Connected to Area 0 means the uplink router/firewall

Yes. OSPF has a requirement that all Area should be connected to Backbone Area (Area O).

If I have the options, I would always prefer a different Area for the virtual environment & will configure it as a Stub Area. => Does it mean different area id for physical and virtual?

Yes.

if we are going to set a new area id for the virtual environment, do I need to check with the network team to confirm that the area-id is not used in any other environment or it's not required? 

Yes, you have to work with the network team for it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ShahabKhan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

It depends on your design. If you want to extend an area from a physical to a virtual environment, you can do that. But if you are using any other Area ID in the virtual environment, then make sure it is directly connected to Area 0. If I have the options, I would always prefer a different Area for the virtual environment & will configure it as a Stub Area.

MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It depends on your design. If you want to extend an area from a physical to a virtual environment, => does it mean physical and virtual will have the same area id in this case

. But if you are using any other Area ID in the virtual environment, then make sure it is directly connected to Area 0.  => Connected to Area 0 means the uplink router/firewall.

If I have the options, I would always prefer a different Area for the virtual environment & will configure it as a Stub Area. => Does it mean different area id for physical and virtual?

if we are going to set a new area id for the virtual environment, do I need to check with the network team to confirm that the area-id is not used in any other environment or it's not required? 

0 Kudos
ShahabKhan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please find you answers inline.

It depends on your design. If you want to extend an area from a physical to a virtual environment, => does it mean physical and virtual will have the same area id in this case

Yes. Both virtual & physical can have same Area ID

. But if you are using any other Area ID in the virtual environment, then make sure it is directly connected to Area 0.  => Connected to Area 0 means the uplink router/firewall

Yes. OSPF has a requirement that all Area should be connected to Backbone Area (Area O).

If I have the options, I would always prefer a different Area for the virtual environment & will configure it as a Stub Area. => Does it mean different area id for physical and virtual?

Yes.

Yes, you have to work with the network team for it.