VMware Communities
naiguy
Contributor
Contributor

using virtual PC WIIIIIIIITH vmware? can i do it?

Hi, I am on a macbook pro runing vmware fusion so I can run windows 7. Now what I would like to know is can I use virtual pc with windows 7 which is being run on vmware. So im running the mac OS and using vmware to run windows 7. but now with windows 7 running on top of the mac OS I want to use virtual pc on windows seven in order to load virtual hard disks to practice labs that I have for school.

When i try to open one of the virual hard disks it says: This program is blocked due to compatibility issues. I''m not sure if i need to use another version of virtual pc or if its just not possible. can someone help with this question?!

thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

but now with windows 7 running on top of the mac OS I want to use virtual pc on windows seven in order to load virtual hard disks to practice labs that I have for school.

You can't run a Virtual Product within another Virtual Product. You CAN run ESX on WS 7, but that's pretty much the only exception.

You can convert vhd with winimage, that might work.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Older versions of Virtual PC will run under Fusion 3 if the VPC VMs are configured for binary translation. I suspect that the new VPC is checking the CPUID HYPERVISOR bit to see if it is running in a VM and refusing to continue if it finds this bit set.

To clear this bit, try adding this to your Windows 7 VM configuration file:

hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"

That may be enough to get you past the initial check for nested virtualization. However, VT-x isn't virtualized, so VPC will still have to be able to run its VMs without hardware assistance.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also see , which may address your issue directly.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

When i try to open one of the virual hard disks it says: This program is blocked due to compatibility issues. I''m not sure if i need to use another version of virtual pc or if its just not possible. can someone help with this question?!

VMware Fusion at one point imported Microsoft VMs via File > Import... to import Microsoft VPC 7 for Mac using the .vmc configuration file. The same import process would work with VPC 2007 for Windows (.vmc) or WVPC media (.vmcx). Have you tried that option?

0 Kudos