VMware Communities
alanl3
Contributor
Contributor

WINDOWS XP PROGRAMS DISAPPEARED

I have version 2.0.4 and Windows XP Home edition. It has worked flawlessly for months.

Last night instead of my programs showing up in Windows, I just get the wall paper when I start Fusion.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion. This did not help.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I doubt that your programs have actually disappeared and it is more likely that Windows just hasn't finished booting so I'd reboot the Windows Virtual Machine to Safe Mode and then reboot it normally and see if it will complete normally then.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot configuration errors by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP

Windows XP Recovery Console

How to troubleshoot hardware and software driver problems in Windows XP

Also if your Host OS is OS X 10.5.x then you may need to temporarily disable F8 for Spaces in OS X System Preferences > Mouse & Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts or under Expose & Spaces > Spaces as you will need the F8 Key to get into Safe Mode

Also under OS X System Preferences > Mouse & Keyboard > Keyboard > Use all F1, F2, etc. check box

Also using the "fn" key, e.g fn+F8

You can also look at VMware Fusion menu bar click VMware Fusion > Preferences... > and uncheck Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts (For Fusion 2.x Keyboard & Mouse > Mac OS Shortcuts > uncheck Enable Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts)

I'm mentioning all the various keyboard related items because depending on how you may have any of these configures can/will effect just how you get F8 to function in the Virtual Machine for being able to boot into Safe Mode.

Note: For Recovery Console or Repair Install if you're using VMware SCSI Virtual Hard Drive you will need to use the VMware SCSI Driver from VMware's Web Site.

If you used Windows Easy Install and or you're using SCSI Virtual Hard Drive then you need to load the VMware SCSI Drivers when booting from the Windows Install CD by pressing F6 at the appropriate time as noted on the bottom of the Virtual Machine display during this process.

You can download the VMware SCSI Driver Disk from VMware and assign the .flp to the Floppy

You can the assign the "vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp" to a Floppy Drive by adding it to the Virtual Machine via the Settings sheet. Have a look at:

Fusion 1.x: VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring a Floppy Device

Fusion 2.x: VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Managing Other Devices with the Settings Window > Configuring a Floppy Device > Adding a Floppy Device

0 Kudos
alanl3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you WoodyZ, you are a genius.

I booted in safe mode by holding down the F8 key and my desktop appeared and XP works perfectly again.

Have a great day! You've made mine.

Alan

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I booted in safe mode by holding down the F8 key and my desktop appeared and XP works perfectly again.

I'll assume that after booting to Safe Mode that you did reboot normally and all is okay in normal mode.

0 Kudos
alanl3
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct, all is well. You saved me from uninstalling and then reinstalling Windows.

Thanks again.

Alan

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just an FYI this behavior, booting to a blank Desktop, happens on physical and virtual machines so this is not necessarily a Fusion issue per se and sometings just the act of booting to Safe Mode and then rebooting to normal mode can fix other strange Windows behaviors as well so it's something to keep in mind to do when things start getting funky. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
alanl3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again WoodyZ.

A strange thing happened, perhaps you can help me fix it.

I managed to get a 16 GB copy of Windows XP in my Mac Download folder. When I move it out of their I am unable to start Fusion.

What do you recommend?

Alan

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

A strange thing happened, perhaps you can help me fix it.

I managed to get a 16 GB copy of Windows XP in my Mac Download folder. When I move it out of their I am unable to start Fusion.

What do you recommend?

Well without knowing exactly and specifically what you mean by "When I move it out of their I am unable to start Fusion" I don't have enough technical information to analyze so maybe if you read and and provide the .log files as described in the latter document I'd have something to analyze.

0 Kudos
alanl3
Contributor
Contributor

When I move it to my document folder, or trash, Fusion won't load. When it's returned to the download folder, all is well.

Thanks for responding.

Alan

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Check your Private Messages

0 Kudos
bigmacmt
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

You appear to be the guru here. I have a similar / same problem. BUT, how can I do a reboot of Windows in fusion when I have nothing but a blank screen--no windows menu, no programs etc. It says its Windows XP on the top bar and I have managed to locate files of the program (Quickbooks) that I'm trying to run, but cannot seem to get anything else to come up in Fusion. Thanks for any help you can offer. Feel free to send direct if you like. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Greg

mba@mtbroadcasters.org

0 Kudos