VMware Communities
orlandold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

macbook put to sleep when running WinXP on vmware Fusion / black screen when opened lid again (wake from sleep)

Ref.: macbook 2.4 ghz, 4gb ram, osx 10.5.8, vmware fusion 2.0.5 running WinXP sp3 with 2gb of Ram assigned

Could someone please let me know what is the reason that everytime vmware is running, and I close the lid of my laptop, whenever I open the lid to resume my work, I only get a black screen.

Should I be hitting the suspend button in the running vmware OS, prior to closing my computer lid and it getting to sleep?

Thanks for any advise you can provide.

Regards,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can just put times you are comfortable with in those fields. It should not matter.

What i think is happening is that your guest is going into suspend -not the vmware suspend, but WinXP suspend mode- and that it is for some reason not recovering from that.

If my suggestions don't help, you might also want to try re-installing VMware tools, but do take a snapshot before doing so, just in case Smiley Wink

--

Wil

VI-Toolkit & scripts wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows ScreenSaver?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This should work flawlessly.

Can you still escape the VM by pressing control+command at the same time?

Maybe your VM is trying to suspend itself in a way that Fusion doesn't like it, what are the power option settings?

On my Windows XP VM i have system standby on both battery as well as plugged in set to never.

System hibernate on plugged in set to never and on battery to 25 minutes and it works well for me.

In Virtual Machine Settings i have battery status passed on to VM.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
orlandold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ChipMcK, I just turned off the windows screensaver that was set to turn on every 10 min. do you think this could have something to do with it?

thanks,

0 Kudos
orlandold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wila,

The thing is that when I open the laptop back I only see a black screen; I haven't tried pressing control+command in said occassion to see what happens.

Coud you please clarify the settings you proposed:

- I went into Energy Preferences, and state that it is a latop, Ok?

- What should I put on "Turn off monitor", "turn off hard drives" and "go to inactivity"? (sorry for the translation, my winxp is in spanish)

- In "hibernation" tab, it only has the option for on/off.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can just put times you are comfortable with in those fields. It should not matter.

What i think is happening is that your guest is going into suspend -not the vmware suspend, but WinXP suspend mode- and that it is for some reason not recovering from that.

If my suggestions don't help, you might also want to try re-installing VMware tools, but do take a snapshot before doing so, just in case Smiley Wink

--

Wil

0 Kudos