VMware Communities
bdprince70
Contributor
Contributor

itunes causes hang only when CD/DVD enabled - any thoughts

Hi, I have a new mac with Leopard on it (never been a mac owner/user, but have used VMware for a while so I figured the time is right)

I used the converter 3.0.2 to convert a windows XP pro machine to a virtual machine

I copied the files over to a firewire drive attached to the imac (time machine is set to "Do not backup" the volume with the virtual machine files)

After a couple of reboots and installs the windows machine is now coming up nicely

the only problem now is when I start iTunes in the Virtual Machine I get the colorful swirl and the menu bar and system are not responsive. I can use the dock. Eventually the Virtual machine goes to black with the big play icon. When you hit play it is unable to get an exclusive lock.

I tried updating fusion to the 1.1 61385 and vm tools - same problem

I can launch iTunes if I disconnect the CD/DVD drive (but once i turn on the dvd drive it freezes again)

I saw some articles about the converter not putting the right sound driver on, so I removed sound, rebooted and added it back - no luck

So:

1. Any thoughts about why the connection to CD/DVD would freeze the VM with iTunes running? Can I provide any log information which would help?

2. Once the VM says unable to get an exclusive lock, my Mac will no longer shutdown clean. I have to hold the power button down and force it to power down. then when it comes back up fusion will work again. Is there some other process I can kill so I don't have to force a power off on the mac. I'm afraid that is going to really cause problems as well.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bdprince70
Contributor
Contributor

Well, i exported the library, copied the files and didn't do a iTunes backup to disc which I why I wanted the DVD drive. I may try to reinstall iTunes just to see if I can repro after.

No need to respond to this.

0 Kudos