VMware Communities
FilmSage
Contributor
Contributor

BETA 1.1rc1 DX9 support

I have checkout all the other discussions and so far no clarity. So I'll ask in my own way. I am running 10.5 OSX and XP SP2. I am only concerned with playing two sets of games: The Orange Box, and Sam & Max season 1.

I have them working fine in BC. I have full DX9 and ATI drivers for my Intel iMac installed.

Here are my obstacles when running them in Fusion:

The Orange Box---

Steam will load up mostly, and when open functions fine.

However... EACH game will ultimately fail. Before each load, they give me a warning about my hardware stating that I have "VMware SVGA II" and that it is not supported. They load to the front image ONLY, then crash- saying that I need to have at least DX8.

Clearly, this seems to be a case of getting the software to recognize what really exists. Any tips?

PS I have the 3D option clicked in VM's options.

Sam & Max---

I don't expect any graphical issues here... however this game won't even start. The episode select pops up, but then upon choosing, it tells me that I need to enter my ORIGINAL CD and not a "BACKUP". This doesn't happen in XP, why does VM trigger this?

Help? Ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
arne99
Contributor
Contributor

For your problem, i really know a specific tipp:

use the special commands for steam applications:

-dxlevel 70 ( Für DirectX 7 )

-dxlevel 80 ( Für DirectX 8 )

-dxlevel 81 ( Für DirectX 8.1 )

-dxlevel 90 ( Für DirectX 9 )

0 Kudos
Mark_G_
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the stupid questions, but here goes:

1. What is "steam", and...

2. What are the commands for (i.e. "-dxlevel 90 ( Für DirectX 9 )")

I'm interested in a R/C flight sim and an RPG/MMOG on a VM if possible. Both require DirectX9.

Thanks,

Mark G.

0 Kudos
arne99
Contributor
Contributor

THis was only the answere for the specific problem.

I am interested too to get my machine (mac vmware 1.1b) running with some games, but there are big problems! i think we have to wait or get a better mac!

0 Kudos