VMware Communities
cghommidh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion hangs during boot (2)

This is the second incident I have. I tried to delete the "/Users/CG/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmss" file, as indicated in a previous thread.

No luck : Fusion keeps trying to restore my previous Windows session, and hangs at the same spot (90 %).

How can I get rid of the previous state and have a clean restart ?

Thanks for your help.

CG

MacBook Pro (OS 10.4 - 3 Gb) + Windows XP Pro (Fusion 1.1 - 1.5 Gb)

MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.4 - 3 Gb) + Windows XP Pro (Fusion 2.0 - 1.5 Gb)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay that what I expected to see and as such there should be a .vmss file in the target Virtual Machine's Bundle Package however I know you say there is not so have you tried the Power Off command from the Virtual Machine menu as shown in the thread link I posted previously? Also did you close the Virtual Machine window and Fusion when searching for and deleting the .vmss file?

Also with the Virtual Machine and Fusion closed look in the target Virtual Machine's Bundle Package for any .lck files and delete then as well. Also if there is a .vmem file delete it too. Make sure you empty the trash before starting the Virtual Machine back up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to delete the .vmss file with the Virtual Machine shutdown and Fusion closed or have a look at my reply in: Re: Can't get guest OS (Win XP) to complete a shutdown

0 Kudos
cghommidh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I wrote in my previous question, deleting the .vmss file was my first move. Didn't work. Since then, I have tried to re-instal a new version of vmware. (went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3). No luck either !!! This b...y machine keeps trying to restart the same session over and over again !!!

And guess what ? There is NO ".vmss" file on my hard disk...

Hope you can help, since I start to feel deeply depressed !

br>

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Post a screenshot of the Virtual Machine window at the point it hangs.

0 Kudos
cghommidh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the requested screen copy.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay that what I expected to see and as such there should be a .vmss file in the target Virtual Machine's Bundle Package however I know you say there is not so have you tried the Power Off command from the Virtual Machine menu as shown in the thread link I posted previously? Also did you close the Virtual Machine window and Fusion when searching for and deleting the .vmss file?

Also with the Virtual Machine and Fusion closed look in the target Virtual Machine's Bundle Package for any .lck files and delete then as well. Also if there is a .vmem file delete it too. Make sure you empty the trash before starting the Virtual Machine back up.

0 Kudos
cghommidh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No .vmss, .lck or .vmem files !

And the trash is empty...

More idea ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There's got to be a .vmss file somewhere, since that's where the screenshot is stored. Hovering over the virtual machine in the Virtual Machine Library should show the location as a tooltip - be sure you're looking at the right virtual machine. Post a listing of that virtual machine?

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How many Virtual Machine's do you have?

0 Kudos
cghommidh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi WoodyZ and Etung

Problem is solved.

I found the faulty .vmss file in the VM package. Did not remember I actually had to open the package (right click for the beginners Smiley Wink), and there was a .vmss file in the virtual machine folder initially (a copy made during the previous problem) that confused me.

Thanks for your help

MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.2 - 3 Gb) + Windows XP Pro (Fusion 1.1.3 - 1.5 Gb)

0 Kudos