VMware Communities
jeffp_8
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion Player – Personal Use - Downgrade?

Can VMware Fusion Player – Personal Use be downgraded or do i need to purchase Fusion 12 player?

My goal is to get to Fusion 10.

I own Fusion 8 but I'm told I can upgrade from there.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@jeffp_8 

The concept of Fusion Player being free for personal use is new for v12, for all previous versions of Fusion there is only the equivalent of what is now known as Fusion Pro.

So if you must run v10 I think you’ll need to buy a Pro license and downgrade it to a v10 key. I guess you need v10 due to you version of MacOS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jeffp_8
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I need Fusion 10 due to a combination of hardware, software and MacOS version.

Can you confirm that there is NO WAY to move up from Fusion 8?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@jeffp_8 

Upgrades to Fusion 12 are only possible for customers with v10 or v11, you would need a full license which you then downgrade to a v10 key.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
jeffp_8
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that I cannot upgrade from a licensed Fusion 8 to Fusion 12.

I was asking if there is a way from Fusion 8 to Fusion 10?

Bottom line, is my Fusion 8 license worthless?

If it is, then I pay full price for Fusion 12 to get back to Fusion 10?

I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm just trying to understand my options.

Thanks again,

Jeff

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@jeffp_8 

I thought I had already answered those questions with my previous reply.

As you can only buy Fusion 12 now, but can only upgrade to 12 from either 10 or 11, your license for 8 is of no use in this process.

You will need to buy a 12 Pro license and downgrade it to a 10 key for the 10 software to recognise it.

0 Kudos