VMware Communities
Alhussein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 4.1.4 + OS X 10.9.2 + Fedora 14 External SSD drive troubleshooting

Hello all,

I'm trying to connect an external SSD drive (Kingston POCKET-VAULT) that uses a USB 3.0 connection to a Fedora 14 running linux 2.6.35 using VW Fusion  4.1.4/ My host os is OS X 10.9.2 running on a Macbook Pro Retina, Mid 2012.

The response I get is the following message from VMware when I attempt to "connect" using the "Bluetooth & USB" option from VMware:

"The device "Kingston POCKETVAULT" was unable to connect to its ideal host controller. An attempt will be made to connect this device to the best available host controller. This might result in undefined behavior for this device."

After that, the drive is not connecting.

In the VMware settings, I have the plug in action ask what to do. But when I insert the drive, It's automatically connects to the host OS (OS X).

I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

- Mo

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fusion 4 isn't supported on 10.9.2, and I believe even Fusion 5 only supported USB 3 with OSX and Windows 8 guests.   If you download the free trial of Fusion 6 does it work?

You can get use a workaround - just plug a USB 2.0 hub in between the drive and the computer.  That'll force it back to USB 2.0 mode.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fusion 4 isn't supported on 10.9.2, and I believe even Fusion 5 only supported USB 3 with OSX and Windows 8 guests.   If you download the free trial of Fusion 6 does it work?

You can get use a workaround - just plug a USB 2.0 hub in between the drive and the computer.  That'll force it back to USB 2.0 mode.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

dlhotka wrote: ... I believe even Fusion 5 only supported USB 3 with OSX and Windows 8 guests.   If you download the free trial of Fusion 6 does it work?

With VMware Fusion 5, Linux Virtual Machines that contain in-box drivers for USB 3.0 controllers should work.  With VMware Fusion 6 it should work as long as the kernel is 2.6.35 or higher.

0 Kudos
Alhussein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I upgraded to VMware Version 6.0.3  and this time I got the dialog box asking where I want to connect the drive. After that, I still receive the same message :

"The device "Kingston POCKETVAULT" was unable to connect to its ideal host controller. An attempt will be made to connect this device to the best available host controller. This might result in undefined behavior for this device."

I think I will try next to use a USB 2.0 hub and see if that would fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Alhussein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

With VMware Fusion 5, Linux Virtual Machines that contain in-box drivers for USB 3.0 controllers should work.  With VMware Fusion 6 it should work as long as the kernel is 2.6.35 or higher.

I upgraded to VMware Fusion 6 and also upgraded VMware tools. And although that I now get the dialog box asking where I want to connect my external SSD drive. I still receive the same error message, and the disk doesn't show.

0 Kudos
Alhussein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dlhotka wrote:

I plugged in a USB 2.0 hub and was able to get the drive to work. Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Alhussein wrote:

WoodyZ wrote:

I upgraded to VMware Fusion 6 and also upgraded VMware tools. And although that I now get the dialog box asking where I want to connect my external SSD drive. I still receive the same error message, and the disk doesn't show.

I was just paraphrasing what was in the documentation and I have no problem connecting the USB 3.0 Devices I have to a  Linux VM under VMware Fusion 6.x as a USB 3.0 Device.  So I'd say it's something specific to the Device you're trying to connect although I can't say who's/what's at fault because I do not have that Device to test with.

0 Kudos
Alhussein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

Alhussein wrote:

I was just paraphrasing what was in the documentation and I have no problem connecting the USB 3.0 Devices I have to a  Linux VM under VMware Fusion 6.x as a USB 3.0 Device.  So I'd say it's something specific to the Device you're trying to connect although I can't say who's/what's at fault because I do not have that Device to test with.

Oh, I do understand. I was just reporting back the result of the upgrade. I think it's most likely the SSD drive. Also the fact that the drive did work using the USB 2.0 hub, raises the probability that my particular configuration (Fedora, OSX, Hardware) might be the reason.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Mo

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You bet.  You may get better performance connecting the drive to the host via USB3 and then using shared folders from the guest to access it.

Some of the pre-built drives out there have strange virtual cd's/partitions on them for manufacturer software - I've had terrible luck with those in VM's (and on the OSX in general).

0 Kudos