VMware Communities
jamesdmc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded to 2.0, now I can't share VM among two users on one iMac

I just upgraded to Fusion 2.0 this morning, and since doing so, I can launch the program and run Windows XP with no problem, but when my wife logs on, she gets an error (see picture 1). I thought that maybe installing VMWare Tools might clear things up, but for her, that option is greyed out (picture 2). The acutal VM is still loctated in a shared folder; I never moved it (see picture 3). But now I'm stuck. I don't know what I need to do to get things running smoothly again. Any help would be appreciated.

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A .vmwarevm file is really a folder in disguise (a.k.a. a "bundle") - you need to check the permissions of all the files in it too. See for how to get inside a bundle.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you hover the mouse over the entry, a tooltip should pop up with a more detailed error (we'll make the error easier to find in the next release, sorry!). What does it say?

Do you have a snapshot for the virtual machine? This would prevent another user from using that virtual machine until you fix the permissions.

0 Kudos
jamesdmc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tooltip. It says "you do not have access rights to this file". But when I log in and do a get info on the .vm file, it says that everyone has read and write permissions (see "permissions.png"). No one has done a snapshot because the last time I did one of those, it screwed things up badly.

EDIT: GOT IT WORKING!! In looking at the "Sharing and Permissions" section of the Get Info pane (see "permissions.png"), I noticed that my wife's name was not listed. I assumed that "everyone" meant...well...everyone who uses the computer. Wrong. I had to unlock the pane, click on the "+", and manually add my wife to the sharing and permissions section. Boom. Fixed. Works like a champ.

Thanks for the tooltip. It would have taken me forever to find that. I'm marking this thread as "yes, my question has been answered".

James

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A .vmwarevm file is really a folder in disguise (a.k.a. a "bundle") - you need to check the permissions of all the files in it too. See for how to get inside a bundle.

0 Kudos