VMware Communities
weavkd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solaris 10 disk size problem

Hopefully this has been answered previously, but I couldn't find anything when I used the search. I successfully installed Solaris 10 (5/08) as a vm, but the vm system is telling me that it only has approximately 5GB of disk space, and only 1.5GB left after installing. However, when doing the initial setup on Fusion, I allocated 30GB. I tried installing some developer software that would take up another 1GB, but it stopped the installation due to insufficient disk (swap) space. Two questions: Why isn't the Solaris vm "seeing" the other 25GB, and how do I get it to "see" the space?

I assume (hope) this is an easy fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, this is a Solaris-specific issue and I wouldn't call it an /opt problem but a default disk partitioning issue. Interesting that your installation choose /export/home to be the largest, that's where home directories go. So they are favoring giving this location the most space. The solution is the same, either install under ~ which should be under /export/home or re-install re-adjusting the partition space to your preferences of where you want to install software. There is no advantage to installing under /opt for Solaris, that's just a convention.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Solaris is taking your virtual hard disk and partitioning across /, /usr /var/, /opt, /tmp (swap). Most of the space is given to /opt where applications are expected to be installed. If you want your developer tools under /usr or /var, re-install and adjust the allocation for / upwards and /opt downwards. Then you won't have to change the default path for the developer tools, otherwise you can install the tools under /opt.

weavkd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. Based on your reply, this isn't a Fusion issue (is that right?) but a Solaris issue. However, I appreciate your help and have one more question: I checked /opt but didn't see much allocated, so in the terminal I used df -h to see if it would help identify where all the space was going. It turns out that it's all in /dev/dsk/c0d0s7 (mounted on /export/home). Is this still a /opt problem, or is it something else?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, this is a Solaris-specific issue and I wouldn't call it an /opt problem but a default disk partitioning issue. Interesting that your installation choose /export/home to be the largest, that's where home directories go. So they are favoring giving this location the most space. The solution is the same, either install under ~ which should be under /export/home or re-install re-adjusting the partition space to your preferences of where you want to install software. There is no advantage to installing under /opt for Solaris, that's just a convention.

0 Kudos