VMware Communities
ShonaR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Print is too small to read when printing via WMWare Fusion 6 for Windows on a Mac

When I try to print word or excel documents the print is tiny.  I have tried to reformat and change the text size but even if the data only uses a couple of columns and takes up less than a page of text it prints on the top half of an A4 in tiny print.  I have tried linking to both Mac and Windows with the same result.

Help please my eyesight is not good enough to read any of my documents when printing via Windows.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tracywang
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's printer passthrough technology, any printer installed on Mac host can be used in Windows VM with VMware tools installed. The printer name contains #:1 or #:2 suffix.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for using Fusion. Did you use the thinprint printer or network printer? Thanks. I tried the thinprint printer can print out bigger font without issue.

0 Kudos
ShonaR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you tell me what the thin print printer is?

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's printer passthrough technology, any printer installed on Mac host can be used in Windows VM with VMware tools installed. The printer name contains #:1 or #:2 suffix.

0 Kudos
ShonaR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

When I go to print the printer shows as Canon MG7100 series-2#:2, however the print is still tiny.

0 Kudos
iiToby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As a troubleshooting step, can you print to PDF and see if the problem is also there?

0 Kudos
ShonaR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you go to print it as PDF the preview shows as a full page however the actual print is on the top left quarter of the page

0 Kudos
iiToby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure of your exact situation but if you are using the pass through from Vmware Fusion 6 to the printer, and you have a MacBook Pro Retina or iMAC Retina, their may be a drawing issue with the high resolution screen and Fusion's 6 inability to understand Retina displays. To resolve this create the printer inside of the VM add the drivers inside of it and have it print from inside Windows rather than leveraging the Fusion pass through for printing.

If you aren't doing pass through and it is native windows printing system:

• Uninstall the Drivers
  • Reinstall VM Tools
  • Reinstall the Drivers

But I daresay it is Retina vs Printing might be your problem

Cheers

iiToby

Download Fusion 7 trail and see if that will also fix the issue. Just don't upgrade the Hardware if you plan on rolling back to Fusion 6.

0 Kudos
ShonaR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to both of you.  When I was printing the default printer was showing as 2:#2, I double checked in the Devices & Printers and there was also a #1. Changing that to the default printer solved the problem.

Thanks again

0 Kudos