VMware Communities
RichDuzzi
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple software versions?

I have just started running on an IMAC with Fusion v6.0.4.

When I wish to use a technical program as PhotoShop, will I need to download a Windows-specific version of the software (in addition to the MAC version) to run when using Fusion?

I know this sounds pretty 'clear' but I may be mis-interpreting some info I am seeing online.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

With the exception of VMware Fusion itself, generally speaking the Applications one runs in a Virtual Machine have no dependency on Applications run on the Host.  In other words if you do not already own a copy of Adobe Photoshop you can purchase it either for OS X or Windows, you do not need to have both in order to run one or the other! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RichDuzzi
Contributor
Contributor

Problem is that when I am in Fusion and go into 'applications', they are 'greyed' out (non-openable).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

RichDuzzi wrote: Problem is that when I am in Fusion and go into 'applications', they are 'greyed' out (non-openable).

You need to be more explicit and specific when asking for help.  Your last statement, as written, is ambiguous!.  If necessary provide screen shot(s)! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RichDuzzi
Contributor
Contributor

Let's try this again.

I run an IMAC 27" with a 3.4 GHz i7 processor and 16 Gb of memory.

I have been having a problem since loading MAC OS Mavericks with some of my PhotoShop plug-ins NOT showing any 'text' on the plug-in screens. In other words, I have no idea what or where to 'click' to use these plug-ins. It is a real problem and the Topaz tech rep has not been able to come up with any solution.

So, not know where (MAC OS - PhotoShop - Topaz) the problem really resides, I figured that by purchasing Fusion and Windows 8.1, and therefore running PhotoShop/Topaz through them and not the MAC OS, that this may solve my problem.

You mentioned in your first reply that I should not need to purchase the Windows version of PhotoShop since it 'will/should' open on Fusion/Windows 8.1 - it doesn't though.

When I am in Fusion and try to open PhotoShop, I can navigate to the 'applications' folder with PhotoShop in it but I can not open PhotoShop.

Thoughts or have I still not given enough info?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You mentioned in your first reply that I should not need to purchase the Windows version of PhotoShop since it 'will/should' open on Fusion/Windows 8.1 - it doesn't though.

Not only is that not what I said, you also completely misunderstood what I've said!

When I am in Fusion and try to open PhotoShop, I can navigate to the 'applications' folder with PhotoShop in it but I can not open PhotoShop.

This is still is ambiguous!  Are you in VMware Fusion the Application or are you in a Windows Virtual Machine (two separate but related things) and what "Applications" folder are you trying to access and how?

The bottom line is if you're trying to run Adobe Photoshop that is installed under OS X under the Windows OS then it cannot be run under a Windows Virtual Machine, for that you need the Windows version installed in Windows!

0 Kudos