VMware Communities
FusionLS
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for performance optimization for NFS on VMWare Fusion (for Ubuntu 12.04 guest)

I use a virtual machine (powered by vm-ware fusion 6) for web-development on Mac OS 10.8. To have all the files on the host mac (macbook 2009) I share them via NFS (v3). I use the following settings (/etc/exports) on Mac Host: /Users/macuser/Sites/Drupal 192.168.122.101 -mapall=macuser:staff

To the /etc/fstab on the Ubuntu 12.04 guest I added:

192.168.122.1:/Users/macuser/Sites/Drupal /home/drupalpro/websites nfs noatime,noacl,nodiratime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 0 0

This works well so far, but I am wondering if there are more performance optimizations. As both, the NFS-Share and the Guest OS runs on the same machine I suspect that there is some more potential for optimization, i.e. different rsize/wsize or MTU size, etc.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Fusion, I am not sure how to optimize your case, but if you share file from host to VM, how about use VMware Shared Folder? (VM Settings -> Sharing) It supports Linux guest as well. (After you added a shared folder, the folder is existed under /mnt/hgfs)

0 Kudos