VMware Communities
belize
Contributor
Contributor

Line 1: Syntax Error

I have been using VM Ware on my Mac OSX for about a year with no problem. All of a sudden, it gives an error: Windows_XPSP2.vmwarevm/Windows_XPSP2.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.

Any suggestions on how I can repair the machine, or retrieve my files? I've read the beginners guide and cannot located the .vmx file (unless it is one named "preferences"), and the Mac Search engine will not bring up a .vmx file.

154 Replies
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

My virtual machine has again stopped working . I tried following the directions on how to fix it but i cant understand it.

Im in germany in business and it once again stopped working. I would appreciate if you could fix it once again. Also is there a more detailed instructions on fixing the file.

Thanks ,

attatched is the zip

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

Remove the last line in .vmx file (fileSearchPath = "/Users/Coni/Do) and power on Windows Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you use a text editor to look at the .vmx file you included, you'll notice the last line says

fileSearchPath = "/Users/Coni/Do

If you then look at the various logs, all suggest that it should be

fileSearchPath = "/Users/Coni/Documents/Virtual Machines;."

Alternately, get vmxRecover.pl from and put it in the folder with vmware.log. Open a Terminal window, navigate to the folder, and do:

./vmxRecover.pl vmware.log > "Windows XP Professional.vmx"

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

Etung,

thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

I replaced my vmx file and then i tried to shut down the virtual machine and it started to freeze and then i had to force quit . Now it just loads a blue screen.

Why is my virtual machine doing this, should i update my vmware, or is my computer lacking ram..?

thanks again..

as i said im on business in germany and this couldnt have happened at a worst time.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No idea why your virtual machine is doing that, but I doubt updating Fusion will help. I would suspect guest corruption.

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

What do i do then...? did i lose everything..?!!!!!

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi woody,

You have greatly helped me in the past with fixing syntax errors.

Recently i installed snow leopard and since then my virtual machine no longer works. I need a program in my virtual machine and i dont have another copy of it . so it this virtual machine doesnt work i have no way of recovering it. attatched is the error and the files i thought u might need. Please help me.

thank you

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It may have been more helpful if you'd attached the files stated in the error message however if you're still using Fusion 1.x then you'll need to upgrade to 2.0.5 because Fusion 1.x is not supported under Snow Leopard. (Neither is Fusion 2.x at this point in time but it should work.)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Deleted duplicate.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
hanschang
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Woodyz,

I also got the issue of Line 1: Syntax Error, and I can't run my VM environment on my NB.

The error message is "Failed to open virtual machine: File "D:\AdvancedTEK\DM\KC_VM\Windows XP SP3 Pro.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.", please find the attached file "ErrorMessage_100224" for the snashot.

The attached .zip file "Arichive_100224_hanschang" contains my VM .log files, as well as .vmx fiile.

Could you help me to fix the problem?

If you need any further information, please let me know..

Thank you very much

Hans Chang

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached file "Windows XP SP3 Pro.vmx" was created from information in the vmware.log file dated Dec 30, 2009 that was in the Archive_100224_hanschang.zip file.

0 Kudos
juliab
Contributor
Contributor

Tried to open vm today and this is the error I received. I am a complete novice at this kind of thing. Would appreciate any help that I could get. Thanks, Julia

"/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.

Using MAC OS X 10.6.2

VMware Fusion 2.0.6

This is a copy of the vmx. file

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This is a copy of the vmx. file

This is not what we need. Archive and attach the vmware.log files. (Usually 4 of them.)

Have a look at the "Collect vmware.log files" section in for help with this.

0 Kudos
juliab
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. Hopefully this is what you need. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached file "Windows XP Professional.vmx" was created from information in the vmware.log file.

With Fusion closed replace the existing one with the one attached.

0 Kudos
juliab
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly! J

0 Kudos
Symguy
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

I am traveling on business to VMworld Europe and need to present information to a mutual Symantec/VMware customer. However on the plane I get am getting the error Line1: Syntax Error issue. My machine will not boot and I have archived the files vmx and logs and have attached to this post. I need to be up and running by the end of this weekend for VMworld. Help!!!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached file "sfwjdm.vmx" was created from information in the vmware.log file.

0 Kudos
jjgarry
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

If you could please see if these are recoverable, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

Joanne Garry

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Joanne,

The attached file "Windows XP Professional.vmx" was created from information in the vmware.log file.

Woody

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - It appears the forum software automatically zipped the .vmx file that I attached so you'll have to unzip it. (Just double-click it and it should unzip automatically.)

0 Kudos