VMware Communities
hhabjanic
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard lag on linux

Hi.

Running MAC Big Sur and VMWare 12 (latest), and on VM ubuntu is installed (20.04 LTS). 2xCPU, 6GRAM (other settings are at defaults). VM is displayed on internal monitor (no external ones connected).

On ubuntu login page and in terminal, there is anoticeable lag after each key stroke. It varies between 0.3 and 1 seconds. It is quite annoying - it is like you are typing over long-distance ssh connection.

Looking at system inspector, it shows that system (MAC) is using internal graphic card.

Connecting MAC to external monitor(s) via dock, solves the issue. In this state, system inspector shows that MAC is using "high-performance" card.

Manually changing VM settings (display section), that "high-performance" card should be always used, also fixes this issue.

So, in order for ubuntu to work correctly, i need to force that VM uses "high-performance" display card. But, this will also cause higher battery drain which us not optimal.

So, the question is - how to make ubuntu work correctly even with internal card?

To me, it seems that something broke with display drivers and internal (intel) card, and VMware is having performance issues with 3d (maybe?) content. Did anyone else experience this or have better solution than using high-performance card?

Regards,

H.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Never seen this.

Have you installed VMware Tools already? (eg. sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools-desktop )

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
hhabjanic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Yes, tools are installed. Logs do not show anything ... suspicious.

This appeared with Fusion 12 ... i did not notice it before.

H.

0 Kudos