VMware Communities
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there any documentation on Fusion virtual disk format? How about linux performance hints?

1. Has anyone seen any documentation on format of Fusion virtual disks?  Is it just a simple duplicate of what's on the raw metal or is there structure in it. I am interested in such things as Fusion snapshot vs APFS snapshot, deleted space recovery, etc.

2. Any thoughts on  using a COW (copy on write) file system such as Btrfs or ZFS on a VM under Fusion?

3. Which Linux file system would give best performance? I suspect on a virtual disk a simpler file system such as ext4 might be a good choice, maybe even with journaling off to reduce writes. Does Fusion do TRIM on virtual disks or assume OS will handle it?

4. Finally I know the APFS/HPFS tradeoffs for HDD vs SDD. Same for Fusion files? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So the same USB SSD can boot up either as a Fusion VM or as native machine using the Option key on Mac hardware.
I don't know if this still works for more recent MacOS/Fusion versions as there was some funny unmounting required  (at least for USB storage) when APFS was introduced; and also doubtful the USB disk raw boot will work with Macs with T1/T2 chips.

Mapping a raw disk partition as a VMDK is still available with Fusion if you use the vmware-rawdiskCreator utility that's found in the VMware Fusion.app bundle.  But it's a bit of a pain to work with because of the non-persistent nature of macOS /dev/disk naming. It's entirely possible for the device name to change across boots, which would require you to re-configure the raw disk mapping.

Configure the USB raw device as a virtual hard drive using vmware-rawdiskManager, and it's very likely that an ARM Linux or Windows VM not be considered as a USB device and should boot in a VM as if the VMDK resided on a file system device.  You'd also need a GPT partitioned disk carved up in a similar manner to a physical hard disk.

Don't expect to boot the raw disk on Apple Silicon, however.

TL;DR

It is almost certain that a ARM VM configured with its hard disk residing on a raw disk partition will not be natively bootable on an Apple Silicon Mac. With a single exception, those ARM Linux and WIndows operating systems need UEFI firmware and "standard device support". Unfortunately Apple has non-standard boot firmware and plenty of devices that are proprietary and have no public documentation. Non-Apple operating systems (with one exception) don't have these drivers and don't stand a chance of booting natively.

The one exception to native booting: Asahi Linux. It will boot natively on Apple Silicon Macs due to the work of the project to reverse engineer not only the boot process but the Apple proprietary storage and GPU devices.  That's the good news. The bad news is that Asahi Linux won't boot on Fusion as a VM. Why? Fusion doesn't virtualize the Apple proprietary peripherals and firmware contained in the Apple Silicon hardware.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here are my thoughts. They're worth exactly what you paid for them. 🙂

1. Has anyone seen any documentation on format of Fusion virtual disks? Is it just a simple duplicate of what's on the raw metal or is there structure in it. I am interested in such things as Fusion snapshot vs APFS snapshot, deleted space recovery, etc.

Logically the virtual disk is a image of a physical disk - what you'd see starting at block 0 of a physical disk. Physically there are different configurations of the files that make up the virtual disk depending on how you've configured it.

Fusion itself doesn't document how a virtual disk is built other than describing how to configure a virtual disk to be monolithic (all contained in one file) or split into multiple pieces  - or whether it is fully or "thinly" allocated. I've been trying to search for documentation on the "internal" guts of how a virtual disk is configured. @a_p_ who's our resident guru on VMDKs seems to have the best handle on it, and maybe he can point you to any VMware documentation that goes into more detail on exactly how it's built. There are several references to Virtual Disk 5.0 format tech note, in VMware documentation, but it does not seem to be able to be found anywhere.

VMware snapshots are built as a series of "delta" files that use internal pointers in the vmdk data structure to give the illusion of a full copy of the disk but only needing to keep track of what "blocks" have changed. When you create a vmdk snapshot, a new set of files are created corresponding to the files that you have configured for the current vmdk file.  This series of user-land visible pointers in these files and extra files are what makes vmdk snapshots brittle - it doesn't take much to interrupt a write to maintain the chains of pointers that describe the snapshot (and it gets worse when you take snapshot on top of snapshot on top of snapshot - from a performance and stability standpoint).

APFS snapshots are a totally different animal and taken at the APFS volume level by the operating system. Fusion has no idea how to orchestrate them. The concept is similar, but IMO much better implemented. Key things about APFS file operations:

• Files are made up of multi-block extents. Each extent has a reference count. That is, it knows how many things are pointing to it.
  • An APFS snapshot is virtually instantaneous for the file system at the OS level. It makes a copy of the current file system metadata (which makes it look like the state of the file system at that point in time). All extents referenced get their reference count updated by 1.
  • Every write to the main volume is a copy on write to an extent (set of blocks). It doesn't write back to the same block, it writes data to a new extent on disk.  The old one gets its reference count decremented.
  • When an extent has its reference count decremented to zero, the extent's space can be returned to the disk pool. As long as it still has a non-zero reference count, the block stays around because it's pointed to you by a snapshot.
  • APFS snapshots are currently read-only.

All of this makes APFS snapshots much more reliable than VMware snapshots, IMO. The VMware implementation, while portable, makes it brittle IMO. It needs a sequence of writes to multiple files that need to be completed "at once" to maintain the snapshot. One burp that doesn't write (or flush) all of those changes back to disk, and the vmdk file can require some form of recovery or break entirely.

2. Any thoughts on  using a COW (copy on write) file system such as Btrfs or ZFS on a VM under Fusion?

My opinion: COW file systems in the guest are much better for recovery and stability in the guest. They have the side effect of driving up host disk consumption for the VMDK files because they, well, copy on write to a new block. I prefer Btrfs over ZFS, though, because ZFS has a habit of using memory as cache to improve its performance. Your preferences may be different.

3. Which Linux file system would give best performance? I suspect on a virtual disk a simpler file system such as ext4 might be a good choice, maybe even with journaling off to reduce writes. Does Fusion do TRIM on virtual disks or assume OS will handle it?

I don't think that TRIM is passed through to the underlying host operating system. Reclaiming space on a virtual disk that isn't fully allocated is not a pretty experience - it usually required defragging, writing zeros to unalllocated space, and then manually running vmware-vdiskmanager to "compact" the host files that make up the virtual disk. 

4. Finally I know the APFS/HPFS tradeoffs for HDD vs SDD. Same for Fusion files? 

Yes. Since vmdk files are implemented as operating system files, the general advice for where to use APFS vs HFS+ still remains. Use APFS for SSDs, Time Machine HDDs, and HDDs that contain mostly static information. Use HFS+ on all other HDDs, including HDDs used to store Fusion VMs. 

Every 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great thoughts ---  long ago (and far away) I used to take care of IBM mainframe systems, some of them implemented as virtual machines (on what used to be VM/370). It was always a balancing act - use 'real' file systems or 'virtual' ones --  one neat feature was the ability to use a native file system with the VM just passing through the I/O requests. It would be nice to see that feature on Fusion.

Anyway - for a virtual desktop I suspect Btrfs and/or ZFS are overkill. My personal server here at home has a couple of terabytes of long term spinning rust in a ZFS mirror. It has saved my bacon several times.

I think I will stick to ext4 for virtual machine desktops.

Thanks again for the info and thoughts.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I really don't worry about the file system in virtual machines that I use for desktops. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed  and Leap use Btrfs as their defaults which comes in handy because it can easily recover from a failed/problematic update. Fedora now uses Btrfs as its default. All of the other desktops I've tested I keep on ext4 if that's their defaults. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

slgarwood wrote:

--  one neat feature was the ability to use a native file system with the VM just passing through the I/O requests. It would be nice to see that feature on Fusion.

The closest thing is the raw disk VMDK. That is how Windows Bootcamp partitions are accessed. There is a KB for setting up raw disk VMDK. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2097401
I have tried the same raw disk method long time ago with an SSD on a USB 3.0 enclosure.
With raw disk VMDK, Windows 10 could be installed into the USB SSD (Windows 10 refuses to install once it detects a USB storage as target) as the virtual controller is a SATA (or whatever what was configured in the VM).
For Linux, I tried the other way around, installed Linux into the USB disk and then created a raw disk VMDK for Fusion after.
So the same USB SSD can boot up either as a Fusion VM or as native machine using the Option key on Mac hardware.
I don't know if this still works for more recent MacOS/Fusion versions as there was some funny unmounting required  (at least for USB storage) when APFS was introduced; and also doubtful the USB disk raw boot will work with Macs with T1/T2 chips.

The VMDK 5 tech note is attached. The largest VMDK is now 8TB instead of 2TB so this technote may not be the most up-to-date.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Mapping a raw disk partition as a VMDK is still available with Fusion if you use the vmware-rawdiskCreator utility that's found in the VMware Fusion.app bundle.  But it's a bit of a pain to work with because of the non-persistent nature of macOS /dev/disk naming. It's entirely possible for the device name to change across boots, which would require you to re-configure the raw disk mapping.

Configure the USB raw device as a virtual hard drive using vmware-rawdiskManager, and it's very likely that an ARM Linux or Windows VM not be considered as a USB device and should boot in a VM as if the VMDK resided on a file system device.  You'd also need a GPT partitioned disk carved up in a similar manner to a physical hard disk.

Don't expect to boot the raw disk on Apple Silicon, however.

TL;DR

It is almost certain that a ARM VM configured with its hard disk residing on a raw disk partition will not be natively bootable on an Apple Silicon Mac. With a single exception, those ARM Linux and WIndows operating systems need UEFI firmware and "standard device support". Unfortunately Apple has non-standard boot firmware and plenty of devices that are proprietary and have no public documentation. Non-Apple operating systems (with one exception) don't have these drivers and don't stand a chance of booting natively.

The one exception to native booting: Asahi Linux. It will boot natively on Apple Silicon Macs due to the work of the project to reverse engineer not only the boot process but the Apple proprietary storage and GPU devices.  That's the good news. The bad news is that Asahi Linux won't boot on Fusion as a VM. Why? Fusion doesn't virtualize the Apple proprietary peripherals and firmware contained in the Apple Silicon hardware.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks - since I normally use Fedora (or OpenSuSE in a pinch) I'll just not worry and let the defaults stand unless I need a special test for a specific file system.

0 Kudos