VMware Communities
helgew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to boot a Fedora 8 client from CD?

I have a Fedora 8 client, which I would like to boot from a CD but have not found any way of doing this in Fusion (1.1). Is this possible?

Basically, I am trying to grow my root partition after giving it more space using the vm tools on the host. I don't seem to be able to do this without unmounting /, which I cannot do without booting from something else, methinks.

thanks for any input!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not clear from you post what you're having trouble with, but I assume you'er asking how to change the boot order (rather than that your CD isn't bootable or something). You can change the boot order by pressing F2 (on some keyboards, fn-F2) during the guest's BIOS POST. It flashes by really quickly, so you might want to add a delay or just force the setup with one of the following additions to your .vmx file:

bios.bootDelay = "3000"
bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

If you're wondering where the .vmx file is, see .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not clear from you post what you're having trouble with, but I assume you'er asking how to change the boot order (rather than that your CD isn't bootable or something). You can change the boot order by pressing F2 (on some keyboards, fn-F2) during the guest's BIOS POST. It flashes by really quickly, so you might want to add a delay or just force the setup with one of the following additions to your .vmx file:

bios.bootDelay = "3000"
bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

If you're wondering where the .vmx file is, see .

0 Kudos
helgew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer. I had forgotten about the BIOS screen since I only see that when I shut down the client, not when I reboot it.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to entering the BIOS setup with F2. I use the Esc key at POST time to bring up a BIOS boot order menu that works without having to update the BIOS itself. It's also easier to type than fn-F2 on my Macbook Pro keyboard.

0 Kudos