VMware Communities
Bmaker
Contributor
Contributor

Help! Lost VMWare or Windows somehow?

I am getting an error message when trying to Launch Fusion - it says .....virtualmachinges.localized/WindowsXP professional.vmwarevm" does not exist. The only thing I can think of is that I restored my ipad yesterday and that may have affected this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Coach300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm guessing that Fusion launches okay but the VM does not?

Go to your documents folder to look for the VM:  users:<user>:documents:virtual machines and see if the file exists. Try double-clicking that file to launch (it should have the long suffix of .vmwarevm).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

(it should have the long suffix of .vmwarevm).

To add to this... The .vmwarevm extension is by default hidden.

0 Kudos
Bmaker
Contributor
Contributor

i found the folder, but there is nothing in it?

0 Kudos
Bmaker
Contributor
Contributor

/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" does not exist. this is what i see when i try to launch. The only thing that may have affected this was restoring my ipad yesterday possibly?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If the Virtual Machine Package does not exist at its designated location then it was either moved or put in the Trash.  Have you looked in the Trash or searched the Host for the missing Virtual Machine Package?

I doubt anything you did with the iPod is related to this issue.

0 Kudos
Bmaker
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, I will check

0 Kudos
Bmaker
Contributor
Contributor

ok - I think i found it in a folder i had drug to the trash - way to go smarty! Smiley Wink Any idea on how to get it to function again? do i need to restart my computer?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If the Virtual Machine Package is intact you can just double-click it and it should run.

0 Kudos
Bmaker
Contributor
Contributor

wonderful - it works! Now...any ideas on how to recover the key? I think I originally downloaded it off the internet...call VM ware maybe?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What "key" are you referring to?  If your referring to VMware Fusion, have a look at: Viewing license keys in My VMware (2006831)

0 Kudos
Bmaker
Contributor
Contributor

thank you! After you helped me find it, i was able to call VMWare and get it fixed . Appreciate all your help!

0 Kudos