VMware Communities
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MKS stops responding when monitor toggles input

Host: OS X 10.9.1, Fusion 6.0.2, MBP5,5

Guests: OS X 10.7.5, Ubuntu 12.04

My MBP5,5 is hooked up as one source to an external monitor. The monitor accepts multiple inputs and I sometimes flip between computers. When changing monitor inputs, if a VM is on the external monitor, it will usually stop updating (e.g. Monitor shows a Fusion VM. I toggle to a different computer, then later toggle back to the MBP. The VM no longer updates the screen). If I suspend and resume, things work again and I can see things I did when it was unresponsive (e.g. type some things, suspend/resume, typed stuff shows up). Pause/play does not get the MKS out of the wedged state. This happens in both fullscreen and single window mode, and in both OS X and Ubuntu guests. Tools for both guests are up to date.

If a VM is on the internal monitor, it is unaffected by the input change.

The following snippet from vmware.log at the time of the monitor toggle sounds suspicious:

<<< Toggle monitor to other computer >>>

2014-01-09T01:15:50.431-08:00| vmx| I120: GL-Backend: stopped by HWinMux to do window composition.

2014-01-09T01:15:50.431-08:00| vmx| I120: MKS-SWB: Number of MKSWindows changed: 0 rendering MKSWindow(s) of total 0.

2014-01-09T01:15:50.473-08:00| vmx| I120: GL-Backend: stopped by renderMux to do screen composition.

<<< Toggle monitor back to MBP >>>

The one time I was looking at the log when it didn't freeze up, no extra log lines showed up, so this seems related.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was hasty saying that the internal monitor is unaffected, I occasionally see the same thing there.

0 Kudos