VMware Communities
MikeMcGregor
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5 : installing a virtual scsi device

I'm using vmfusion 5.01 on an iMac i7 running osx 10.7.5 and I'm loading windows XP

When the XP machine starts I get the following message.

There is at least one virtual SCSI device installed on this Windows XP virtual machine.
Windows XP does not include drivers for the BusLogic SCSI adapter that VMware Fusion uses for virtual SCSI devices.
To use these virtual SCSI devices, install the VMware driver in the virtual machine. Download the driver from "http://vmware.com/info?id=43".

The URL takes me to a very generic download page that I have not been able to search to find "the driver". I have found various vmscsci.flp files but I dont know how to handle them. Searching the vmware documentation does give examples of adding floppy disk drives using these files but they generically refer to extracting the vmscsi.flp file (how?, with what?, in which OS - MAC or XP). Hints on where to get these drivers and how to install them would be appreciated.

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

you can find the steps to install Windows XP with the Buslogic drivers at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1000863. I'm not sure about VMware Fusion, but in VMware Workstation you can find the latest vmscsi.flp in a the VMware Workstation's installation folder (sub-directory "Resources"). Anyway, the drivers in the KB article should work too.

André

MikeMcGregor
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

Thanks for the quick response. I followed the instructions there and installed the floppy drive. However when I start XP virtual image I still get the same error message.

As far as I can tell I have access to the floppy/DVD and shared documents. The boot seems to work fine other than the message I get every time. I'm assuming the error message is related to some other scsi device (probably the host scsi hard drive).

I guess I could just ignore the error message but it does seem kinda annoying.

Thanks Mike.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Check out this http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2007603 .

This addresses the exact issue you are experiencing .

Cheers! Avanish
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you add the Bulogic driver (steps 6-8) while the XP installation was loading? This - adding additional storage drivers with pressing "f6" - is the same as with adding such drivers to an installation on a physical system.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did you add the Bulogic driver (steps 6-8) while the XP installation was loading? This - adding additional storage drivers with pressing "f6" - is the same as with adding such drivers to an installation on a physical system.

Andre,  since no vmware.log files have been presented we don't have all the hard facts however in this particular use case scenario I do not believe pressing F6 is not an option since from what MikeMcGregor says, "As far as I can tell I have access to the floppy/DVD and shared  documents. The boot seems to work fine other than the message I get  every time.", it appears Windows XP is already installed and the driver will need to be added either directly from Device Manager or the Add Hardware Wizard.  I say this because by default VMware Fusion normally only creates a SCSI vHDD under Windows XP when Easy Install is selected and when it is selected the necessary files are included in the autoinst.flp file.  So this message shouldn't appear during an Easy Install under VMware Fusion.

This message might appear after a manual install when a SCSI disk was used even though one used the vmscsi.flp during the install however I suspect this message most often appears when one adds a second vHDD as SCSI to an existing VM that originally was built out on an IDE vHDD.

Under this use case scenario the following VMware KB is probably more applicable...

Have a look at: Windows virtual machine configured to use a BusLogic SCSI controller reports that the operating syst...

0 Kudos
MikeMcGregor
Contributor
Contributor

Avanish, Andre and WoodyZ,

Thanks for your help. Sorry I'm some what of a novice as far as vmware goes. I have attached the vmware.log file that WoodyZ mentioned.

This image did not go through the install new OS proceedure so I don't have access to F6 during install. The history of this install is that is was originally built a couple of years ago on another, older iMac using fusion 3.0 and later upgraded to fusion 4.0 on that machine. A couple of days ago I transferred to a new iMac and obtained Fusion 5.01 and moved the image to the new iMac (I used a disk clone as it was going to take 2 days to transfer over the network). On the old machine I never recieved the error message.

I've tried as much of the sequence from the notes provided by Avanish and WoodyZ as I'm able, although Fusion 5 doesn't seem to offer the ability to execute all the steps (see highlight below). I have also tried completely removing vmtools and reinstalling them from scratch.

I'm beginning to think that this may be related to boot camp as the old iMac had boot camp support for Window XP whereas the new machine only supports Windows 7. Not that I'm actually using boot camp these days, it just happens to be in the Windows image from the time when I did.

Thanks Mike.

These are the clipped notes from the article.

1. Power off the virtual machine.
  2. Add a new SCSI controller of type BusLogic Parallel to the virtual machine.

To add a new SCSI controller of type BusLogic Parallel:

1. Add a new hard disk of small size, say 1MB.
    2. For the Virtual Device Node selection in the wizard, select the controller that is different from the controller for the boot device.

For example, if the boot virtual disk of the virtual machine is on controller 0 (when the Virtual Device Node for the boot virtual disk is one of SCSI (0:x)), then select SCSI (1:0) as the
      Virtual Device Node for the newly added hard disk.   The Fusion 5 gui does not allow me to do this

3. After the hard disk is added, it adds a New SCSI Controller entry corresponding to the Virtual Device Node selected in Step b.
    4. Change the SCSI controller type to BusLogic Parallel, by selecting the new SCSI controller and clicking the Change Type button.

3. Power on the virtual machine.
  4. Follow the Found New Hardware wizard or the Windows device manager inside the Windows guest and provide the location of the VMware SCSI driver downloaded in Step 3. This installs the drivers for the BusLogic SCSI controller inside the guest operating system.

Note: Instead of using the Found New Hardware wizard and providing the downloaded VMware SCSI driver, you can also try installing or upgrading VMware Tools on the virtual machine. This automatically installs the VMware SCSI driver.

5. Power off the virtual machine.
  6. Remove the hard disk that is added in Step 6 from the virtual machine.
  7. Change the type of the remaining SCSI controller(s) to BusLogic Parallel.
  8. Power on the virtual machine.
0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

have you tried procedure 1 ? What is the outcome ?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos