VMware Communities
aanhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Feature Poll - Your wishlist for Beta 5

My wishlist -

OpenGL support[/b] (even an older version? 1.5? we'll take it!) Smiley Happy

Unity support for Vista

Easier way to access Start Menu in Unity (perhaps by right clicking Fusion in the dock)

More Unity polish in general, minimize window redraw issues, set dock and menu bar as "no go" zones for Windows apps

Some sort of workaround or pref to enable OS X hotkeys in fullscreen/focused VMs

Fusion automatically remounts the Boot Camp partition after shutting down the VM running off it (Fusion currently unmounts the partition on startup, and forces the user to manually remount it in disk utility after the session)

\-----

What's on your wishlist?

0 Kudos
141 Replies
incognegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's one more (small) request.

Is it possible to minimize the number of times that Fusion asks for a password? Or could it be a configurable option to keep the drivers loaded into the kernel or something similar, so that once authenticated, we can start up and shut down the VMs as many times as we please?

0 Kudos
incognegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just thought of another one. When running Ubuntu (which has its menu bar at the top of the screen), VMware likes to pop down its menu when I am trying to just use the Ubuntu menu. Can there be some option to turn off the VMware Fusion menu that drops down? Could we have Cmd-Tab working even when inside the guest? That would about do away with what I use the menu for now, (make it show by flicking the mouse to the top of the screen, then using Cmd Tab to switch to whatever I want) ...

0 Kudos
chuwy
Contributor
Contributor

Part of the Linux Tools should be the SSH method you mentioned for Unity in Linux. Im not sure if its possible, but as long as you had X11 Fusion could guide you through the whole SSH process, even automate it if possible

0 Kudos
pipebender
Contributor
Contributor

I too, would like to see flash activity status of HD, network... etc (like Parallels). It would be nice to know what the VM's doing. It's not on top of my wish list when compares to say DX9, openGL support, but it's something nice to have.

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There are lots of good feature requests here for

VMware Fusion or potential Mac products from VMware.

We will definitely keep track of these features as we

plan products for the Mac.

It sounds like you may be considering VMware workstation for Mac? Please do. Macs are becoming the tool of choice for many IT professionals, and we'd like to be able to have the VMware feature set available to Linux and Windows users.

I would not be using a Mac at work today if it weren't for Fusion, but I still use my copy of Workstation at home for features not in the current Mac product.

Mac Pro workstations can go up to 16GB of RAM and the new MacBook Pro laptops can do 4GB. Wow!

0 Kudos
jabsys
Contributor
Contributor

Task bar display in unity mode. Can use autohide to keep it away from view most of the time.

0 Kudos
myramoki
Contributor
Contributor

1. OS X Hotkeys

2. OS X HotKeys

3. OS X HotKeys

Hey with things like VirtueDesktops (soon Apple's Spaces), LaunchBar, and quick switching (cmd-tab) unavailable except when your using Unity, I find myself hampered severely trying to work the normal way I work if I'm in full screen or even single window mode.

4. Faster shared drives. Don't know why this should be so slow, at least to initially access shared drives. I don't have this problem with Parallels, its quite quick.

5. VM management via library window. IE: Duplicating, renaming, deleting, etc.

6. Every reasonable thing everybody else said. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bigman
Contributor
Contributor

1. Full Snapshot Support

2. Unity for Vista

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor

Seconded. Although VMware's beta release to releases are much more stable and predictable on all Mac hardware compared to Parallels. DirectX 9, Multiple Snapshots, and VMDK disk defragmentation need to be implemented. Other than that, a GUI frontend to the underlying VNC features VMware's core has, and maybe integrated VMware Console. VMware Console might seem like a niche, but it isn't. There's a very very long forum post regarding this, and I think VMware should just get it over with, integrate it with Fusion, and have beta testers knock out two birds with one stone.

0 Kudos
Walter_Dow
Contributor
Contributor

An option to choose custom configurable settings for easy install so a person can use XP Pro OEMs which have a different procedure than store bought license copies of XP.

0 Kudos
macnerd
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list wishing for OS X hotkeys. I've tried using Fusion with VirtueDesktops and it doesn't work because all the shortcuts are ignored.

0 Kudos
AbortRetryFail
Contributor
Contributor

A hearty second on the OEM install request.

In addition to OEM installs, I'm a former MSDN subscriber and I have various copies of non-bootable installation disks for various Windows versions. I can't use any of these today with VMware... frustrating!

Oh, and another pile-on request for OS X hotkey support. Having used Fusion for a few days now, this is one area where the Parallels user experience seems better-integrated with Mac OS X.

Regards,

StevenC

0 Kudos
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Toggle Key(s) for Showing / Hiding the Toolbar

Like,

Apple Key + Shift

0 Kudos
aanhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Another one :

Unity for Ubuntu? Pretty pretty please?

0 Kudos
tlog
Contributor
Contributor

I'll only ask for one thing, and its been asked for countless times already, but Im adding my vote:

\- multiple snapshots with a snapshot manager.

0 Kudos
Fleabag
Contributor
Contributor

Firewire support for external firewire audio devices please!

I would love to be able to run Cubase SX3 under Fusion without the stuttering, glitchy clicky audio that I get at the moment...

Cheers,

Fleabag

0 Kudos
AppleStar
Contributor
Contributor

This is not a wish, its a demand Smiley Happy

Repair of USB-Connection for 2.4GhZ MAcbook Pros (the new ones...)

Now I got this beautiful 4GB RAM 2.4GHz 200GB HD machine in front of me and I cannot even sync my bloody PPC phone with Outlook Smiley Sad And no iPhone here in Europe...

0 Kudos
ph_gerin
Contributor
Contributor

Now that we have USB/CD/Ethernet icons on the main window,

Please add activity indicators !

0 Kudos
Wes_W_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[u]Fusion Features Request:[/u][/b]

1) Ability to run VM "hidden" as a service (i.e. web hosting VM) - doesn't show on desktop all the time.

2) Multiple snapshots & snapshot manager. Automatic timed snapshots would be great, almost like an entire VM "system restore" feature.

3) Enhanced networking configuration, especially with multiple NICs

4) Master VM viewer where stats & activity of each running VM can be observed in one easy to view page. Though probably more of a Fusion server type of feature, why let Parallels get the upper hand again?

5) Support for more than two CPUs in a VM (like at least 8-16)

6) Performance can always be improved.

0 Kudos
SMB1
Expert
Expert

) Support for more than two CPUs in a VM (like at

least 8-16)

This is really not going to happen in Fusion, Workstation or Server any time soon.

0 Kudos