VMware Communities
aanhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Feature Poll - Your wishlist for Beta 5

My wishlist -

OpenGL support[/b] (even an older version? 1.5? we'll take it!) Smiley Happy

Unity support for Vista

Easier way to access Start Menu in Unity (perhaps by right clicking Fusion in the dock)

More Unity polish in general, minimize window redraw issues, set dock and menu bar as "no go" zones for Windows apps

Some sort of workaround or pref to enable OS X hotkeys in fullscreen/focused VMs

Fusion automatically remounts the Boot Camp partition after shutting down the VM running off it (Fusion currently unmounts the partition on startup, and forces the user to manually remount it in disk utility after the session)

\-----

What's on your wishlist?

0 Kudos
141 Replies
ivarv
Contributor
Contributor

2. Unity for Linux. Even if you could make it for

ubuntu, that would be great :smileygrin:

Unity on a *nix is unnecessary as they use X11 for windowing. Just install X11 on your Mac and set your Xserver information via the commandline and BOOM.

0 Kudos
chuwy
Contributor
Contributor

I have X11 installed on my mac, im a bit of a linux noob, ive had to work out most linux commands myself, could you explain how to achieve "unity in linux" via x11?

0 Kudos
ChrisBell
Contributor
Contributor

"Some sort of workaround or pref to enable OS X hotkeys in fullscreen/focused VMs "

Seconded! I'll buy Fusion when this is added. I'm hooked on virtual desktops and Fusion is a roadblock without this.

0 Kudos
troubadix2004
Contributor
Contributor

The only thing what I miss is snapshot manager with multiple snapshots .. I hope it would be integrated .. this is the only advantage (for myself) of Parallels Desktop.

If you have only one snapshot like at the moment you can't store some information about the snapshot (what is installed. what is the date of snapshot) ...

@vmware developers: please integrate snapshot manager it's a must have funcionality

Ok a second thing whould be also great: managing own virtual machines and the possibility to clone vmwares etc.

Message was edited by:

troubadix2004

0 Kudos
HeraldMage
Contributor
Contributor

VIRTUAL NETWORKS[/b]

Please, please. I want to virtualize not only the machines, but the network infrastructure. In VMware Workstation for Windows I can set up multiple vmnets, 0-9, which are treated as virtual switches. This is very useful to be able to virtualize a firewall and have a DMZ and such in the virtual architecture. Neither Fusion nor Parallels seems to do this. Also, even VMware for Linux does it poorly. I'd rather have a Preferences tab that lets me adjust the VMnet configurations, whether I want DHCP provided on the subnet or not, and otherwise allow only traffic on the subnet from VMs connected to that vmnet.

The flat model of just host-only vs. shared doesn't work so well.

Not necessarily for B5, but certainly for 1.0... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SMB1
Expert
Expert

Search google for X over SSH. It should be noted that to use x11 forwarding over ssh on OS X you have to use -Y and not -X, so you would type the following in an xterm `ssh -Y username@host` instead of `ssh -X username@host.` You can now run X apps on your UNIX/Linux machines and have them display on your mac. This is how I manage VMware server installations if I want to use the Server console.

0 Kudos
SMB1
Expert
Expert

No more activation troubles for vista(must)

I never had problems activating Vista that I didn't also have on a physical machine. What problems are you referring to?

0 Kudos
aliasme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd like to see Unity, Single View and Full Screen added to the context menu of the VMware icon in the OS X dock when running.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No more activation troubles for vista(must)

I never had problems activating Vista that I didn't

also have on a physical machine. What problems are

you referring to?

If you flip back and forth between BootCamp and Fusion, Vista will require reactivation (hence Vista's experimental status). If you have a volume license or something similar, this might not happen.

0 Kudos
SMB1
Expert
Expert

So does XP, that's a Microsoft problem not VMware. Run Vista under bootcamp you have one hardware set, run it under Fusion and most of the hardware has changed as far as Vista knows.

This is what I expected as the problem. It's not in VMware's control to 'fix.' It's also not broken, this is intended behavior.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So does XP, that's a Microsoft problem not VMware.

Run Vista under bootcamp you have one hardware set,

run it under Fusion and most of the hardware has

changed as far as Vista knows.

This is what I expected as the problem. It's not in

VMware's control to 'fix.' It's also not broken, this

is intended behavior.

Actually, VMware Tools does[/i] fix this for XP (at least it's supposed to, if it doesn't it's a bug). You have to reactivate the first time, but subsequent[/i] flips don't require reactivation. The subsequent flips is what's not working with Vista, you have to reactivate every time.

0 Kudos
fwRoller
Contributor
Contributor

Automate the cloning of Windows VMs so that a clone has different files names, an updated *.vmx file to reflect the file name changes, a different MAC address, a different Windows Computer Name, and a different Windows SID. Any other changes that are necessary to make a clone unique should be included. The end result is that it would not be clone, but a unique VM that just happens to have the same configuration of Windows as the original. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Nevermind...already answered...

Message was edited by:

Andreas Masur

0 Kudos
wngoju
Contributor
Contributor

Promiscuous mode for network adapters "half" works now, ie, I can see, now, all traffic from the host mac to the net, but nothing directly to the mac. So, I want promiscuous mode to completely work.

Bill

0 Kudos
wngoju
Contributor
Contributor

Another vote for some way to launch windows apps from the mac. Just need a file system interface from the mac (which is not just the network?) so one can browse to a windows app soas to set it as the default mac app?

Bill

0 Kudos
incognegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2. Unity for Linux. Even if you could make it for

ubuntu, that would be great :smileygrin:

Unity on a *nix is unnecessary as they use X11 for

windowing. Just install X11 on your Mac and set your

Xserver information via the commandline and BOOM.

I agree. I also think this should be straight forward to activate for Fusion. I think Fusion should even launch X11 on the Mac if it isn't running already. User's should not have to do this manually, and given that VMware tools should be installed on the guest in any way, any cookies or authentication needed to make the X11 instances cooperate should be doable ...

I think the only place we differ is whether it is the user's responsibility to set it up or VMware's Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

Actually, the feature exists. If you bring a VM over from VMware Workstation, it will associate properly with the VMnets. The issue is that there isn't a UI for setting that.

I agree. I'm a firewall guy, myself, and that's pretty much the killer feature for me.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That's two requests for more configurable networking (from heraldmage in this thread, and from Bob in the equivalent "to be fixed for RC1" thread). And yeah, as in Workstation for Linux, the functionality exists but you have to set it up by editing config files (actually, in Fusion you have to do even more config editing because WS-for-Linux lets you select any vmnet you've already configured when editing a VM; Fusion requires you to set up the vmnets and set up the VM to use them, both by editing config files). So it's not exactly a supported feature, but you can do it.

Something to add to the neverending list of desired improvements...

0 Kudos
ivel
Contributor
Contributor

i second the idea of having the tool bar on the side instead of the top or at least configurable. It really makes a difference on these widescreen notebooks.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are lots of good feature requests here for VMware Fusion or potential Mac products from VMware. We will definitely keep track of these features as we plan products for the Mac.

Keep them coming!

Pat

0 Kudos