VMware Communities
michael_at_emja
Contributor
Contributor

Corrupt .vmx After Upgrade to 10

After a catastrophic cascading failure of so many different parts of my system, I was glad to find I had my VMs still in good shape.  Or so I thought.  During the process of recovery, I did some long needed upgrades, and found that any of my VMs I wanted to run showed up as corrupt.

A bit of digging, it turns out this sometimes happens with an upgrade.  In some of those cases, the lock files (*.lck) are the problem.  Bueno!  Easy to fix.  Except it didn't fix it.  Restart Fusion, still no bueno.  Apparently someone at VMware can take the vmware.log file and re-create the vmx for you.  I'm hoping that person is watching this thread and can get my vmx back for me.  Andre (a.p.), if you're out there, or if there's a new Andre, please help.  I've attached the vmware.log and the Ubuntu.vmx that's apparently corrupt.

-Michael

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The vmware.log file appears to be empty

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on the road for a couple of days.

As mentioned by RDPetruska​ the attached files are not usable. Anyway, the important files are the .vmdk (virtual disk) files. If they are still ok it should be possible to create a new VM, using the existing .virtual disk. Please provide a complete list of files (with names, sizes, time stamps) to see what may/can be done.

André

Note: I'm volunteering as a User Moderator in the VMTN Communities. Other than this I'm a user like you, i.e. not working for VMware.

0 Kudos