VMware Communities
thotdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Can't download/open MS Office in Fusion 5/W98?

Trying to import MS Office 2010 onto MB Pro Retina.Fusion 5/ XP Pro.

Getting a message that I can'd download because I'm not running correct Operating System.

Have to use DVD to import.  Tried setting the USB connection to both the MAC and WINDOWS systems, doesn't make a difference.

I just downloaded the Office file from MS website. When extracting the file, I got the same comment that I needed to be running a 64 or 86 based operating system.

Any help appreciated

0 Kudos
9 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Office 2010 will not run on Windows 98. Office 2010 requires at least Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later. 64-bit Windows XP not supported.

I would suggest you to upgrade your windows 98 Guest OS  to windows XP or perform a fresh installation of windows 7 in fusion and then try extracting the downloaded office 2010 file.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
thotdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Using service pack 3

Thanks

G

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
thotdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Also sorry. It xp pro sp 3. I mac guy. Pls excuse

G

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Since windows 98 is ruled out, the only thing that may prevent office 2010 from getting installed is the bit version of windows.

Please confirm the version of windows as described in the following article

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

If it is 64 bit, then you must consider upgrading your guest os to windows 7. You will not be able to install office 2010 on windows xp sp 3 64 bit .

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
thotdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. You suggestion was great. I was running SP 2, not 3.

I also found that Fusion 5 ships with a problem, it's set in a mode for assessing a problem, not running so it freezes. Fixing that solved other problems.

One final thing: Is there a way to move applications from VP to W 7 when I upgrade?

Best,

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Now that question is quite common among those who are looking to upgrade their guest OS. The success rate here is 50 : 50 . I would highly recommend yoy to backup your VM before upgrading.

While selecting the windows 7 os ensure that the bit version of windows xp and windows 7 matches. For ex: If windows XP which you are running is 32 bit, please choose 32 bit of windows 7 only.

For detailed instructions on upgrading guest windows to windows 7, please refer below article

kb.vmware.com/kb/1015396

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

If you are unsure / not confortable  performing those , please contact vmware fusion support.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
thotdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

Now, is it possible to transfer applications, such a MS Office between old and new virtual machines, e.g. 98 Pro SP 3 to W 7?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

No its not possible. You cannot transfer applications from one vm to another. you may use the apps of win xp vm on win 7 only if you upgrade . in this case again success rate is 50% as i mentioned in previous post.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
thotdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help.

Gordon

Confidentiality Notice: Health Care Information is personal and sensitive information. It is being sent to you after appropriate authorization from the patient or under circumstances that do not require patient authorization. You are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner, or to delete it. Re-disclosure without additional patient consent or as permitted by law is prohibited. Unauthorized re-disclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality could subject you to penalties described in federal and state law. This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is PROHIBITED. If you have received this message in error, we would appreciate if you please notify us at 707.226.5506 immediately and destroy this message from your system.

0 Kudos