VMware Communities
Takosan
Contributor
Contributor

Can't copy files

Greetings.

Using Fusion v2.0.6 on Dual Core MacBook running OSX10.4.11. I'm running a Windoze XPP SP2 as guest OS. I'm having trouble copying folders with sub-folders. Some are several tiers deep but some are only couple tiers deep. I can copy if I drill down to the file but if I don't drill down and do it one-by-one I get an error of "can't copy file:" message next to a big red "X" with a window title that says "Error copying file or folder." Any clue as to what's happening?

Thank you in advance,

Robert

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since Files(s)/Folders(s) can be copied via Drag & Drop through the Fusion GUI or via VMware's HGFS Shared Folders and/or a SMB/CIFS Share it would be helpful to know what method you're using and or if all of the methods fail as well.

Also if going from Host to Guest have to checked the OS X permissions to verify that correct permissions exist on all objects you're trying to copy and visa verse the Windows permissions?

0 Kudos
Takosan
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

Thanks for the reply. Actually this is going through Windoze Explorer and just copying from one location to another within the guest XPP. For example copying the parent folder c:\test1 to c:\new1\ gives me this error (test1 folder contains multiple sub-folders and levels). Or copying the same c:\test1 parent folder to a removable drive (i.e. flash drive or USB drive - doesn't matter) also gives the same error. The only time it doesn't give me an error is when I drill down to individual files to copy or when copying a folder with no sub-folders within. Something seems to be off ...

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What Filesystem, NTFS or FAT32, and if NTFS have you tried reseting permissions on the parent and allow propagation to the child objects? Do the names of any of the files(s)/folder(s) contain illegal characters? Example: / [ ] ; = " \ : | , * . (except the period signaling the extension).

BTW Based on what you've said so far I do not see this as a VMware Fusion issue but a Windows User Permissions issue and you need to address and resolve this the same way as if this was a physical machine.

0 Kudos
Takosan
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed that this points to XPP problem since copying to itself (i.e. within the disk image) or to an external medium through physical USB port gives an error. Unless there is a known bug that when the planets line up Fusion throws the Windows ACL into a fit <ggg> --- I guess no such bug exists so I'm checking the folder permissions as we speak. Thanks to pointing me to where to look at for root cause.

Robert

0 Kudos
Takosan
Contributor
Contributor

Hummm, maybe something else or I'm not understanding the Windows permissions correctly.

First thing I did was re-propagate the parent folder's FULL permission to the child objects. Since the flash drive is FAT32 while disk image is NTFS, to negate any effects from file system differences, I tried copying the folder above to another location on the disk image and unfortunately it gave me the same error.

So I got to thinking ... does re-propagating the source folder's FULL permissions throughout it's child really matters? Why is it that if I drill down to a file within the folder, or if the folder does not have any child folders, can I copy without error? Again the above test was done in NTFS & within the same disk image. I'm confused ...

Robert ?:|

0 Kudos