VMware Communities
Dr_Dave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CD/DVD Connectivity Problem

I'm currently using Fusion 3.0.1 on a Mac Pro, running Snow Leopard (latest version).

Some time ago I convered an XP machine and it seemed to be working. Having not used it for many months, I find now that the CD/DVD is not working.

When I go into the Device Manager, delete and try to the driver, I get an error (Cannot start this hardware).

Here is the name of the automatically installed driver: Sony DVD RW DW-D150A

I'm wondering if there is something that I need to put into or take out of my VMX.

BTW, the reason this is important is that I'm trying to install an updated version of VMware Tools and once I'm told that the CD Rom image to my VM, then (of course) I cannot find the CD/DVD device.

I've attached my VMX. All help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can manually mount the "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/windows.iso" image and the either add it as a Shared Folder or just create a Temp Folder on the Windows Desktop and drag and drop the contents and the run the setup.exe. Note that if you do add as a Shared Folder you should still copy the files to the Windows Virtual Machine before executing the setup.exe. This is of course assuming that the old version of VMware Tools are functioning enough to do this otherwise you will have to share the mounted ISO under OS X and the get to the files through the Network and again copy then to the VM before running the setup.exe. After installing you can delete the files you copies to the VM as they are no longer needed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not know if this is applicable or will help however if there is a flag on the CD/DVD in Device Manager then have a look at: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

0 Kudos
Dr_Dave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion...but no go.

Is there a way to install VMware Tools without having access to a CD/DVD?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can manually mount the "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/windows.iso" image and the either add it as a Shared Folder or just create a Temp Folder on the Windows Desktop and drag and drop the contents and the run the setup.exe. Note that if you do add as a Shared Folder you should still copy the files to the Windows Virtual Machine before executing the setup.exe. This is of course assuming that the old version of VMware Tools are functioning enough to do this otherwise you will have to share the mounted ISO under OS X and the get to the files through the Network and again copy then to the VM before running the setup.exe. After installing you can delete the files you copies to the VM as they are no longer needed.

0 Kudos
Dr_Dave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

I have been trying off-and-on for months to resolve this problem. Since this is a legacy VM, I don't access it much but do need to drag-and-drop files when needed...like yesterday!

Thank you for the help.

I ended up mapping a drive to my NAS and then copyied file iso files from the Mac, to the NAS, and then to the VM. Work well.

BTW, this VM is four years old and started out with VMworkstation.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos