VMware Communities
JoeRCPA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using Bridged Network with Wireless Networking

I have an apple wireless network Airport Express Devices that is attached to a network to make wireless services available in my environment. The wireless device has a static IP of 10.0.1.1 from Apple. The wired environment has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 which provides IP addresses using DHCP. In my environment there is a printer, scanner, fax device that has in connected to the wired environment. Fusion is set to use bridged networking. If I connect the wired connection directly to my MAC I can scan documents directly to the computer using Fusion, as the scanner is able to see the Fusion client on the 192... range. Once I go wireless the scanner no longer sees the MAC, I presume because the Fusion Client now has a 10... IP address. How can I resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Airport Express deivice out of the box has a default gateway address of 10.0.1.1. I dont know if that is changable as I have not spoken to Apple.

Why do you have to speak to Apple? Just bring up the /Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility and see if you can reconfigure it.

If you want to access the printer/scanner via WiF then it and the Virtual Machine need to be on the same Subnet since it is not connected directly to the Mac. You've going to have to reconfigure either the Linksys Router and or AirPort Express to work together on the same Subnet but don't overlap the Scope of DHCP Server's IP Address Pools.

BTW This really isn't a Fusion issue pre se and is really more of a Network Hardware Configuration issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Joe,

Can you describe how your network is setup? What kind of wired router are you using? How is the printer connected to the network? What version of the OS are you using on the Mac and on your VM?

Also, is it just the scanning that will not work over the wireless network or is the printer not shoing up at all? Have you tried adding the printer on the Mac side and sharing it as a network printer?

Thanks!

-KellanA

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to what KellanA has already asked have you tried re-configuring the AirPort Express to be on the same 192.168.1.0 Subnet without overlapping the Scope of the DHCP Server of the Wired LAN?

0 Kudos
JoeRCPA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The answers to the questions are the following:

The original router is a Linksys Router utilized in its out of the box configuration. This configuration has the router assigned a default of 192.18.1.1 and it assigns IP addresses on the network Using DHCP to IP's in the 192.168.1.xxx range. Each computer and the network printer that is plugged into the network physically gets one of these IPs. The printer has its own IP address and that has a static IP address of 192.168.1.150. I have not set up the printer to be used from the MAC side. I have only used it on the PC side and have installed the drivers on the PC side using software that Kyocera has provided.

The Airport Express deivice out of the box has a default gateway address of 10.0.1.1. I dont know if that is changable as I have not spoken to Apple.

The MAC OS is 10.5.8 and the Fusion Version is 3.0.1.

The scanner in the Kyocera addresses software provided by Kyocera for the PC. The OS inside of the Fusion Client is XP Pro. I have assigned a name to the Client and the Kyocera finds the client by use of this name. If I plug the network cable directly into the MAC instead of going with the Airport Express everything works. I can Print from XP to the network printer and I can do all other activity with the client in either wired or wirless mode.

Joe

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why do you have to speak to Apple? Just bring up the /Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility and see if you can reconfigure it.

If you want to access the printer/scanner via WiF then it and the Virtual Machine need to be on the same Subnet since it is not connected directly to the Mac. You've going to have to reconfigure either the Linksys Router and or AirPort Express to work together on the same Subnet but don't overlap the Scope of DHCP Server's IP Address Pools.

BTW This really isn't a Fusion issue pre se and is really more of a Network Hardware Configuration issue.

0 Kudos
JoeRCPA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reference to the Airport Utility. I have changed the Airport express such the they are all on the same subnet. All devices are now working.

Joe

0 Kudos