VMware Communities
Mildayan
Contributor
Contributor

Bug. Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644) and autoconnect printers

After installing the Security update fow windows xp (KB958644) printers no longer autoconnect using TPAutoConnect, Uninstalling the security update means that it all works again. Can not find anywhere on the VMWare site to log the bug. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have no problems printing from a Windows XP Virtual Machine after installing the Security Update for Windows XP (KB958644) however even if I did I wouldn't be looking to quickly to blame VMware Fusion and want to file a bug report as this really has nothing to do with with Fusion per-se and everything to do with Microsoft since it's their update and as such you need to determine what has changed as a result of this update and make any necessary setting changes in Windows to re-enable printing. BTW After installing the update I can print from either the default printer setup by theTPAutoConnect provide by VMware Tools or connecting to the Mac's shared printer an standard Windows configured Network Printer or directly to a Network Printer via a Standard TCP/IP Port. In other words this update did not effect printing from my Windows XP Virtual Machines in three of the normal ways that one might be using. Now I did not test with having Bonjour for Windows installed because I neither need nor use it to connect to my printers and if you have that installed and are connecting to your printers in that way I'd be looking in that direction more so then Fusion as part of the problem in conjunction with the Windows Update.

Now that not to say that after installing a update such as this that if there were to be a conflict with the a 3rd party driver such as the TP Driver provided by VMware it's not VMware's fault per-se since it was a Windows Update that broke it (hypothetically speaking at the moment since it has yet to be determined) however they would probably be looking to help resolve the issue in some manner if it was but just how and what it's to early to tell since the update was just put out today.

0 Kudos