VMware Communities
MacSheep
Contributor
Contributor

Any positive experiences with version 4?

I purchased the v4 upgrade but have held off on upgrading from 3.1.3 based on all the issues I've seen on this board over the last few days.

I realize that having a problem is the impetus for many who arrive here, but is anyone having a good experience with version 4? I need to hear some: 'No problems for me,' 'Works great,' 'Faster!,' 'Bridged and NAT both work flawlessly,' 'Rock solid!' etc. Anyone?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
ktrevolt
Contributor
Contributor

NO! Throw it away. I had Fusion 3. I assumed Fusion 4 would be good. Horribly disappointed. Slow, sluggish when it worked. Half the time it freezes up the machine. WORTHLESS. Even better when you try to get a refund they basically tell you  - Sorry, you're screwed. Not even an upgrade price break for loyal customers. WASTED $50. Parallels 7 SUPERB product.

0 Kudos
gr2020
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it's working fine for me.  There are some UI things that I don't like, but those are pretty minor.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Works great for me. No big issue block me.

0 Kudos
hajimeml
Contributor
Contributor

Given that VMware advertises that Fusion 4 was designed for Lion, do Lion users have better expereince? Maybe those who reply should include information about the Mac OS and hardware they are using. We can then get an idea on which groups of users are badly affected.

0 Kudos
werpu
Contributor
Contributor

Outside of the rendering problems I encountered, I am pretty happy with it. It definitely is faster which is vital.

The IE9 rendering problem was a showstopper for me however until I found out how to force IE9 into software rendering mode.

0 Kudos
20after4
Contributor
Contributor

Underwhelmed.

So far I've had a VM completely crash, twice, which never happened with v3.  I don't really see much advantage for my purposes but it's got some fancy ui improvements which are not earth shattering by any means.

I'm on Lion and honestly the old version worked fine with lion, I don't know what new compatability was added but it sure isn't obvious.

If you don't have a damn good reason to upgrade then I wouldn't be in any hurry. Sure hope there will be stability improvements in the next few updates, otherwise this version is a downgrade with a fancy ui.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi 20after4,

I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide more detail on your VM crash, if you have info you are willing to share.  Rather than pollute this thread (we'd be venturing off-topic w.r.t. the OP's request for reports of positive experiences Smiley Wink), it'd probably be best to start a new thread of your own, describing the issue(s) you encountered.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yep.  Unity is certainly much faster for me.  (And yes, I also have a copy of Parallels 7 on the same machine)

0 Kudos
halcwb
Contributor
Contributor

Great question, switching from fusion 2 to 3 was rather a traumatic experience for me, but in the long run version 3 has paid off. I think the lesson is indeed to monitor this forum until I more or less get convinced that 4 is better than 3 and even then, I never ever going to switch using a production machine. So, if you have the luxury, try it out on a spare machine.

I am going to wait for a while, I am a very satisfied fusion 3 user, I do not want to get a frustrated fusion 4 userSmiley Wink

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried Fusion 4 in 10.6 and it works perfectly fine but the GUI seemed a little bit awkward to me, especially the settings dialog. When switching to Lion however it seems to be making more sense to me. It is very minute though and therefore may just be something that is between my ears.

Fusion 4 is faster with starting and shutting down, even when a vm is still running. It simply does a better job than Fusion 3.1.3 did. The new snapshot manager is also a big improvement from 3.1.3; you can now actually branch.

They have now put everything inside the Fusion app instead of /Library/Application Support/ and elsewhere so you now have 1 central place to go to which makes life a bit easier. Something some people really like is the fact that the network daemons for the NAT and Host-only options will now only start when you start the app. Everything is more like an ordinary app.

The fullscreen option is a hit and a miss in Lion. In Snow Leopard it makes perfectly sense, in Lion not so much. The problem is that it is different from the fullscreen mode in Lion itself. That is also a blessing because the Lion fullscreen mode has some serious issues with multimonitor setups. The standard Lion fullscreen mode only makes sense for people who have 1 monitor. Unfortunately that will be most of the userbase. iTerm2 did a better job at that, it offers both options and lets the user choose in the settings. So you will find angry people with only 1 monitor who feel Fusion should be using Lion fullscreen mode and  you have multimonitor people who are jumping out of pure joy because they have proper fullscreen support for their multimonitor setup.

As with any new release there still are some problems. One of them being mice (or things that look like mice such as tablets :smileygrin:). There are some issues that make the cursor jumpy but there seems to be a solution to that problem as well. If you search the forums you'll find the solutions.

I still have to test some more, like taking the snapshots (especially branches) and unity (with Linux) so things might get more positive or a bit more negative. Overall I'm pleased with this release although I still have a couple of things on my wishlist like advanced networking, IPv6 support, better 3D support for Linux so you can use the extra effects and the new Ubuntu GUI and some more little things. I'd recommend Fusion 4.

0 Kudos
ManuelG13
Contributor
Contributor

Works great for me.  Placed the old app in the trashcan, installed the new one.  Re-started windows, re-installed the tools, rebooted and that was it.  The most painful part was waiting for the confirmation e-mail (took about 2 hours) after purchase.  This is on a mbp 6,2 .

0 Kudos
MacSheep
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies. I got brave today and decided to do the upgrade. I've only been banging around in it for half a day but am pleased to report so far so good. Update of machine type and VMWare Tools went smooothly in all my VMs: Win 7 (2 instances), Win Server 2008 R2, Win XP SP3, and Ubuntu 11. Startup, shutdown, and suspend do seem a bit faster as others have noted. I always run in windowed mode so I can't comment on the Lionesque enhancements for full screen, etc. Going to give it a few more days before passing final judgement since some of my issues in past have only cropped up over time. [Fingers crossed.] Thanks again. I'm sorry to hear some folks are having very serious issues.

N.B. --  I was very cautious about prepping for the install: Made sure all VMs were fully shut down. Opened 3.1.3 installer and used the uninstall option. Then went thru HD and removed all lingering VM files manually -- Application Support, Prefs, Logs, Launch Daemons, Contextual Menu Item, etc. Restarted machine with PRAM reset and then repaired permissions before beginning install of v4. I just dragged the application file manually and did not use the Upgrade app. Then opened each of my VMs in v4 and went thru the machine and Tools updates.

0 Kudos
20after4
Contributor
Contributor

At the risk of polluting the thread further, I haven't had any more crashes so overall I'm satisfied with fusion 4.  I think it only crashed when I hadn't yet rebooted the host and might have had some remnants of fusion 3 lingering on my system.

The new snapshot manager ui is definitely an improvement and performance seems equal or better in all areas.

0 Kudos
mntnbighker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bridged networking is totally broken for me in Linux on 2 different Macs after ver 4 "upgrade".

0 Kudos
gr2020
Contributor
Contributor

mntnbighker wrote:

Bridged networking is totally broken for me in Linux on 2 different Macs after ver 4 "upgrade".

Not that this helps you, but just for reference, bridged networking working ok with me for Ubuntu 10.04 VMs, created with version 3 but then upgraded to v4...

I am using static IPs on the VMs, however, which could be the difference; I remember seeing a post somewhere about DHCP not working for some folks in bridged mode...

0 Kudos
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Works great for me on both 10.6.8 and 10.7 hosts. No problems with networking, I've used both brided and NAT. My favorite thing about Fusion 4 is that sound works in Lion guests, so they're much more useful to me.

0 Kudos
Burndog
Contributor
Contributor

Terrible... Wish I had held out for some later version...

Wacom table claims the cursor and will not allow spanning across teh whole screen (in and out of Fusions PCWindow).

Every Fusion start it asks if I want to open this app downloaded on such asn such date...

Alerts on every system start up noting Helper app wants to start (2) of them...

I wish I had backed up the prior version 3 so I could roll back 😞

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I wish I had backed up the prior version 3 so I could roll back 😞

You can always downgrade the hardware comparability then uninstall and then reinstall the previous version and if you don't have the installer image you can download it from VMware's website.

0 Kudos
Burndog
Contributor
Contributor

Wacom Problem Solved

Under Virtual Machine / Settings / USB I had selected the Wacom table as it initially did not work properly.

Deselecting this today solved the problem or the VM taking the cursor for VM only... Now it floats over both Mac and Pc windows and allows selection in either. Yeah!

Also reinstalled because the startup warnings had me looking at Mac system prefs/ start up and there were 2 VMware Helpers listed. Still testing but a much more happy camper at this point.

0 Kudos