VMware Communities
Sir_W
Contributor
Contributor

AltGr key on MacBook Pro

I've just purchased VmWare Fusion and I'm pretty disappointed as I cannot type AltGr key on MacBook Pro keyboard.

According to the KnowledgeBase, the right Enter key should be mapped as AltGr, but it doesn't work: the right Enter key behaves like the Enter key...

Any advice?

TIA,

Andrea

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you actually have a European MBP?

0 Kudos
Sir_W
Contributor
Contributor

Do you actually have a European MBP?

Yes, it's a European MBP with Italian keyboard. Guest OS is Windows XP Pro: all keys work correctly but AltGr.

0 Kudos
zwirwel
Contributor
Contributor

I have a norwegian Mac keyboard. I set the VMs keyboard to norwegian as well. Then I use the right Alt-key (Option). Works fine. It may not say "AltGr", but that is the key to use.

Don't use the right "Cmd" key.

0 Kudos
Sir_W
Contributor
Contributor

I have a norwegian Mac keyboard. I set the VMs

keyboard to norwegian as well. Then I use the right

Alt-key (Option). Works fine. It may not say "AltGr",

but that is the key to use.

Don't use the right "Cmd" key.

Ok, that could be the problem. On my keyboard (Italian) there is no right Option key. On the right of the Space Bar there is a Command key (open-Apple key), an Enter key and then the cursor arrows.

0 Kudos
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On my portuguese MBP keyboard I have to press Ctrl-Alt for the altgr, works fine, but you have to disable the following option in the Fusion prefs: enable MAcOS keyboard shortcuts

0 Kudos
jeremydb
Contributor
Contributor

On my German keyboard, the enter key between the Command and arrow keys functions as AltGr in Fusion.

0 Kudos
alfonsoml
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my MacBook with Spanish keyboard to the right of the space bar there's the Command and an enter key that when I'm using fusion works like the AltGr key.

I work mainly in windowed mode, and the VMware tools are installed in the guest (some different flavors of windows)

0 Kudos