VMware Communities
MapRider
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

5.0.2 Update networking issue

As others have noted today, I received the 5.0.2 update and am now having issues.

After the patch installed, and I rebooted once and logged out/in once, I was no longer able to see my local network, or access the internet.  

I use the "Bridged" option to obtain an IP address from my router, and that part was working fine, but I could not access any network shares and attempts to ping other machines failed.

If I changed the network type to "NAT" to use my host machine, I could now access the internet but still could not access any other local machines.

System config info:

Host:   Mac Pro Early 2008, 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)

Virtual Machine:  32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1

Anybody know of a way to go back to 5.0.1 without having to totally uninstall/reinstall the software?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Anybody know of a way to go back to 5.0.1 without having to totally uninstall/reinstall the software?

Downgrading between versions (minor or major) requires uninstalling/reinstalling the VMware Fusion App and uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools in each Virtual Machine that they were updated in.  You can download the VMware-Fusion-5.0.1-825449.dmg install image from VMware.  Also note that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not remove your Virtual Machines and not counting the download time it should then take less then 5 minutes to uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion itself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I recommend you to reinstall vmware tools as described in the artilce

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
MapRider
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The tools installed after the upgrade.   Just tried uninstalling/reinstalling them and it did not solve the problem.

Further investigation shows that I am not able to receive an IP address from the router using "Bridged" networking.   The IP is the default:  169.254......

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Downgrading between versions (minor or major) requires uninstalling/reinstalling the VMware Fusion App and uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools in each Virtual Machine that they were updated in.  You can download the VMware-Fusion-5.0.1-825449.dmg install image from VMware.  Also note that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not remove your Virtual Machines and not counting the download time it should then take less then 5 minutes to uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion itself.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FWIW Since a Virtual Machine does not require VMware Tools to be installed to have basic Internet/Network Connectivity it's not necessarily the first thing I'd suggest in this case.  Although it wouldn't necessarily hurt to do so nonetheless it's better to do some additional diagnostic troubleshooting before essentially just steamrolling ahead.  In other words while uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools is a valid branch on the diagnostic troubleshooting tree it not necessarily always the first stop.  I'd first look at the Hardware Tree in Device Manager for any Flags and also in Windows Event Viewer especially for any type of entries that have now appeared after the upgrade time that weren't present before.  Aditionally I'd probably do some quick testing with a Live OS ISO Image with a newly created VM (empty of installed an OS) just to run from the Live OS ISO Image and also from the problematic VM.  The test results of which can/may greatly aid in diagnosing/troubleshooting Network Connectivity issues.

0 Kudos
MapRider
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't have the time to go through all the steps to troubleshoot just why the network does not work in "bridged" mode with 5.0.2.  Time is money around here.

I only launched one of my virtual machines w/ the 5.0.2 update so it was pretty easy to go back to 5.0.1.   Once I did that everything worked as fine as it did before the update.

0 Kudos