VMware Cloud Community
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCOPS doesn't collects info

Hi all,

I have created an application in vCOPS5, with three tiers each containing the resource relative to the datastore. I then created a custom dashboard, but when I click on any tier and then on a LUN within Resource realtionship, the widget Metric Graphs showing me a series of graphs with NO DATA.

I also started from the Start Collecting Environment overview, but to no avail.

Any idea?

Thanks to all

Francesco

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Matrix,

I can see all the configurations are ok. i cant say why the value is zero. Check whether the collector service tab beside to resource kind tab in environment overview is in green or not. Also there is a problem some times due to resources having the duplicate names. I have the same kind of problem?

eg: I have 5 vm's i want to group as an application. while making as an application i found another machine with same name as one of those 5 machines and i grouped the 6 machines as an application. my application widget is able to collect info about all the other 5 machines except the duplicate one. i cannot find the duplicate one in my vcenter too.

My guess is these names might somewhere in the inventory invisble to us. so vcops is pulling the names and it is failing to collect data as they are no there physically.

Thanks

VK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey matrix,

Check whether the Metric Selector with Resource Selection was matching to the LIST.

Eg: If you select the tier level in LIST and check for the Self -Health Score in Metric Selector With Resource Selection and pull them to Selected metrics.

If it pull up the health score then try to reconfigure the widget. There might not be any info on the metrics u have selected to the Application or Tier in the LIST. So this Self-Health might help finding whether the widget is working or not.

Thanks

VK.

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vkaranam,

thank you for your answer. I'm not very familiar with vcops. Could you tell me exactly where to click?

Thx!!!

Matrix

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey matrix,

Please find the image and here is the expalanation.

When you clik to edit your metric tab please check the following things.

• Make sure the self Provider is ON.
  • Now In the resource tags when you expand Application Set select your application or Tier.
  • After selecting the Application or Tier it appears in the List.
  • In the List select your Application or Tier and in the Metric Selector with Resource Selection check the attribute u want ot compare.
  • In our case lets say Self-health Score and now click on the Icon Perform Multi -Select which will move the selected attributes w.r.t to tiers to the Resource Tab in the bottom.
  • Save and check whether the graph is loading.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

thank you. I see the graph (constant value 100). It's normal? And for others metrics?

You are very kind.

Matrix

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI,

I repeated the same steps for other metrics on a datastore and the result is NO DATA. I hope it helps you.

Thank you very, very much

Matrix

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey matrix,

You are welcome.

I repeated the same steps for other metrics on a datastore and the result is NO DATA. I hope it helps you. --  For which metrics have u done ?can u provde some data on this.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VK,

as soon as possibile I'll send you some screenshots. Thanks a lot for your support!!!

Matrix

2012/10/13 vkaranam <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

vCOPS doesn't collects info

reply from vkaranam<http://communities.vmware.com/people/vkaranam> in VMware vCenter Operations Manager - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2129782#2129782

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI VK,

here is a document with some screenshots that I hope will help you understand what is wrong.

thanks

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Matrix,

I can see all the configurations are ok. i cant say why the value is zero. Check whether the collector service tab beside to resource kind tab in environment overview is in green or not. Also there is a problem some times due to resources having the duplicate names. I have the same kind of problem?

eg: I have 5 vm's i want to group as an application. while making as an application i found another machine with same name as one of those 5 machines and i grouped the 6 machines as an application. my application widget is able to collect info about all the other 5 machines except the duplicate one. i cannot find the duplicate one in my vcenter too.

My guess is these names might somewhere in the inventory invisble to us. so vcops is pulling the names and it is failing to collect data as they are no there physically.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey vkaranam,

your answer is very useful. In fact I have the datastores that are called by the same name, but are on two different ESX. Might just be the problem. I'll let you know.

Thx!!

Matrix

0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey VK,

you were right! The problem seems to be just what you've described, in my case tied to 3 LUN replicated in DR. Thank you very, very much!!!

Allow me to bother you again to ask you something "maybe" complicated. Where can I get more detailed information on metrics and their meaning, as well as other information such as, eg. how often vCOPS carry out the controls for the lower aggironare badges (Time Remaining, etc..), etc.?

I know to be annoying, but I need to know more about the product and then use it with my clients.

Many thanks to you and to anyone who wants to help.

Matrix

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Matrix,

Here is the link for getting started guide.

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcops-5-getting-started-guide.pdf

Please refer to the 1 st Chapter in the doc.

I have no info on how often vcops carry out those controls. I am intrested in finding that too.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos