VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Super Metric for vnic stats

Each of my vms has 1 to 4 virtual network adapters.  However, I want to get throughput statistics only on network adapter 1.  How can I get total throughput for all virtual machine "network adapter 1" interfaces ?  Is this possible using supermetrics in vROps 6.0?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
funksoul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi TheVMinator.

AFAIK, you can assume that a vNIC instance 4000 is a 'Network Adapter 1' in most cases.

So if you do not care for few exceptions, you will be able to get the result by using existing metric 'Network I/O|4000|Usage Rate (KBps)' and don't have to create a SM.

* There are plenty of metrics for VM Network usage so you may not need the SMs if there's no need of very complex/specific metrics.

But for sure, you can create a SM if the metric you want does not exist.

Regards,

Ho-Sung.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Looks like a question not for vRO but for vROps community https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vcenter/vcops

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

good, "helpful" catch - 6pts for that!

0 Kudos
funksoul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi TheVMinator.

AFAIK, you can assume that a vNIC instance 4000 is a 'Network Adapter 1' in most cases.

So if you do not care for few exceptions, you will be able to get the result by using existing metric 'Network I/O|4000|Usage Rate (KBps)' and don't have to create a SM.

* There are plenty of metrics for VM Network usage so you may not need the SMs if there's no need of very complex/specific metrics.

But for sure, you can create a SM if the metric you want does not exist.

Regards,

Ho-Sung.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK great thanks again

0 Kudos