VMware Cloud Community
jrichardsonfdh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question about licensing and how many I need

So I was planning on buying VMware vSphere with Operations Management Standard and I have two servers. Do I need to buy this for each server? Or do I just need it one time, and then can buy standard vsphere for all my other servers? I guess what I am asking is if I want reporting on all my servers that the operations management can do. Do I need to buy the above edition for each server? Or is that just a one time cost for the software? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You must purchase a VSOM license (i.e. "with Operations Manager") for every core that will host VMs you wish to monitor with the Operations Manager component.

In other words, you are not entitled to monitor VMs that are running on servers with no VSOM license.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would be buying one license that you're looking at for each of the processors in your hosts.  If you have dual CPU hosts then you would need 4 of those licenses plus another license for vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
jrichardsonfdh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know it is licensed per cpu. But do I need to buy the "With Operations Manager" for each cpu? Or do I need to just buy that version once to be able to see reporting on all my servers?

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You must purchase a VSOM license (i.e. "with Operations Manager") for every core that will host VMs you wish to monitor with the Operations Manager component.

In other words, you are not entitled to monitor VMs that are running on servers with no VSOM license.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
jrichardsonfdh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok thank you. That is unfortunate, and costly. But thanks for clearing it up!

0 Kudos