VMware Cloud Community
JoanWu
Contributor
Contributor

How do we pull and report other metrics from vCenter

We need to pull some metrics from vCenter other than what vCenter Performance Manager provides.  Is there an API allowing us to extend the current vCOPS 5.6 vCenter adapter?   Should we build a separate embedded adapter?  Where can we find the APIs and docs?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can either update current vc adapter or create your own adapter. There is no extendable API within adapter.

JoanWu
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean that 'configure' the current vc adapter? My understand that the current vc adapter is getting metrics from vCenter Performance Manager only.  So how do we update/configure the current vc adapter to pull data from other managers other than Performance Manager in vCenter?

To create our own embedded adapter for vCOPs 5.6, where can we get the APIs and docs? 

Thank you for your reply and clarification on - There is no extendable API within adapter.

0 Kudos
wli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for not been clear. You need to write you own adapter. The infrastructure provides a base class AdapterBase.java, your adapter can inherit this base class, and override some methods. You can refer to our current VC adapter implementation as an example.

bserratrice
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You also have the HTTP Post adapter, which is a generic adapter that pushes or pull data to/from vCenter Operations Manager through HTTP.

It is not really well documented but you can find some information by browsing https://<vcops>/HttpPostAdapter/

For pulling data take a look at lookupResource & getMetricDataAndDT methods.

I hope it helps.

0 Kudos
JoanWu
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help.    Now I will locate the SDK for building a adapter. 

0 Kudos
JoanWu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it helps.    Posting the data to HttpPostAdapter may be an appoach for us too.      Thanks.

0 Kudos