VMware Cloud Community
jacksonecac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vco get virtual machines by name never finishes

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue, when I run get virtual machines by name, nothing is returned and it never ends. I have another script that is attempting to do:

VcPlugin.getAllClusterComputeResouces()

and this never ends either. I have successfully done it before but not it is not working, it is like something is wrong with the vCenter or something. If I log into the vCenter I can search and see all the cluster and virtual machines but I cannot query it in VCO.

Any insight on this would be helpful.

thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jacksonecac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue was that the vCenter for this VRO appliance had run into issues and the querying of the vCenter was not working from the VRO appliance. After restarting the VRO appliance the querying was fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

How large of an inventory are you dealing with?  If you have a fairly large vCenter or maybe several vCenters attached to this vRO instance you may be running out of java heap space.  I have run into many issues, particularly with the vSphere plugin, where I run out of memory.  I am pretty sure even if you've tweaked these settings they are often overwritten during an upgrade.  I know I have had to redo this several times at some point.  Maybe I uninstalled/reinstalled and just forgot.  Anyway that is worth checking.  You will find some kb's on how to tweak these settings and also how to run monitoring on your heap space to confirm that is the issue.

Another issue you might hit that would cause this is the plugin no longer communicating with the vCenter.  The current revision of vRO seems much more robust when it comes to communication issues between the plugin and the vCenter.  Anyway, check the vCenter inventory in the client.  If you get any sort of credentials error or a big red X you likely just need to restart the service.  I'm assuming you probably already did this but I figured I'd mention it.  I have hit a couple of outages with that plugin where I just removed/re-added the connection and things sprang back to life.

jacksonecac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue was that the vCenter for this VRO appliance had run into issues and the querying of the vCenter was not working from the VRO appliance. After restarting the VRO appliance the querying was fine.

0 Kudos