VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VRA7 connect using rdp client

hi,

we have just put vra 7 in and we are building blue prints etc.  One issue i have is that when you connect to the server using rdp a rdp client is downloaded for you to connect.

this is fine when i am in the office but remote users will use MS direct access so can only connect over the host name. is there a way of populating the rdp client with the server hostname rather than the ip address?

thanks

Tags (2)
4 Replies
darrenoid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We used to be able to use the custom property VirtualMachine.Admin.NameCompletion with the domain suffix to accomplish this. I just checked our deployment and it does not appear to be working anymore in vra 7.2. The RDP file continues to be generated with the IP address. Try it out and see if it works for you. Just add the property to a blueprint to test.

~ Darrenoid

phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks, i will give it a try and let you know.

cheers

0 Kudos
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

you were right.  we tried it in VRA7 and it does not work.  thanks for responding

0 Kudos
darrenoid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am pretty sure that is a bug then. When it was working for us (perhaps as far back as vRA 6.x), this property did exactly what you are looking for. It made the RDP file contain the DNS name instead of the IP address. As far as I know, that was the only built in feature to accomplish that. You could open a ticket with VMWare (always fun) to troubleshoot that property. Another possibility I can think of would be to create a custom resource action.

Regards,

Darrenoid

0 Kudos