VMware Cloud Community
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot remove vCenter endpoint that is no longer in use (vRA 7.3.0)

Hi all, I'm having some issues removing a vCenter(VMC on AWS) endpoint that it is no longer in use. When I try it via the GUI I receive the following error:

You cannot delete endpoint vcenter.sddc-xx-xxx-xx-xx.vmc.vmware.com because it is referenced by at least one host or network profile.

I have thus far:

• Deleted any blueprints that were using templates on this endpoint
  • Uninstalled the proxy agent for this endpoint
  • Removed the vCenter instance from vRO
  • Deleted the reservations using Compute Resources for this endpoint
  • Removed all of the compute resources for this endpoint from the fabric group
  • Deleted the fabric group

Additionally, my environment does not have any network profiles.

Searching the error I found the following KB article: VMware Knowledge Base

I ran the commands mentioned using CloudClient 4.4.0 but received the following error when I went to remove the endpoint:

Error: Failure trying to remove endpoint with id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx. System exception.

I'm still receiving the same error via the GUI. Has anyone ran across the before or have any ideas on how to remove this darn endpoint? Is this a bug?

Figured I would check here before opening the SR. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
r0j
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have been down that route when we migrated between vCenters (5.5-6.5) in a DEV environment, and had to delete the old 5.5 vCenter.

Giving everything from our notes, as this may be helpful to others going through this process from beggining to end.

- Create a new vSphere Endpoint for your new vCenter

- Check if the new Compute Resource is recognized correctly in vRA

- Create a Reservation

- Unhook ALL of your Tenants Fabric groups from the old vCenter Computer Resource map to new vCenter Compute Resource.

- Move your hosts & vms to the new vCenter.

- Go to managed machines and change the reservation to new vCenter Resource

- Run compute resource data collection.

- edit reservations, so they point to the new compute resource. Check network profile - network path assignment.

- add yourself as fabric administrator to fabric group and administrator to all tenants, to ensure no issues with cleanup and removal of old compute resource /vcenter.

Launch cloudclient.bat from Windows

vra login userpass --server<servername> --tenant <tenantname> --user administrator@vsphere.local --password xxxxxxxx --promptForIaasCreds yes

CloudClient>vra computeresource inactive list

Listing inactive hosts that would be removed if not in test mode...

<COMPUTECLUSTER> to be deleted

<servername> to be deleted

CloudClient>vra computeresource inactive remove

The following compute resources (aka: hosts) will be removed:

Listing inactive hosts that would be removed if not in test mode...

<COMPUTECLUSTER> to be deleted

Type 'continue' to proceed with removing the hosts above: continue

************ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNING ************

Before proceeding, you must manually stop all Agent processes (proxy agents) running on the IaaS machine(s). Failure to

follow these steps can result in corrupting the agent for the affected endpoint(s).

To stop these processes:

Log in as an administrator to the IaaS windows server(s) where the agent(s) are running.

Run the 'services.msc' command to open the Services console.

Locate the agent(s) in the Services list.

The service name follows the format: 'VMware vCloud Automation Center Agent - <endpoint name>', for example 'VMware v

Cloud Automation Center Agent - vCenter'.

Right-click the agent service(s) and click 'Stop'.

NOTE: You do not need to stop the 'Management Agent'; just the agents associated with endpoints.

As a further precaution, we recommend to take a full backup of the IaaS database.

Please type 'agents stopped' once all Agents are stopped on each IaaS machine to continue: agents stopped

Beginning to remove inactive hosts...

<COMPUTERCLUSTER> is deleted

<servername> is deleted

<servername> is deleted

Finished!

If it was successful, you can now remove the endpoint using the 'vra endpoint remove' command. After you remove the endpoint, don't forget to start the Agent processes back up.

CloudClient>exit

0 Kudos