VMware {code} Community
Pedro_BE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VIX_RunProgramInGuest time out

Hi,

I am using Veeam B&R which uses this API to run an amount of tasks inside the VMs when performing a backup.

One of these tasks is an indexation. In 99% of the cases this runs without a hitch except for one system. This VM has a ton of little files and the indexation takes a very long time. Hoewever after exactly 1 hour, this indexation job terminates with a time out message.

Is this time-out inherent to the API or is this because it is called wrong? Contacting the vendor's support for more information is what got me here ...

Thanks

P

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here's the man page for the API.  The only API we provide a timeout for is WaitForToolsInGuest()

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vix-api/vix11_reference/lang/c/functions/VixVM_RunProgramIn...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There's no timeout in VixVM_RunProgramInGuest(), and I can't imagine how it could be called "wrong" to cause one.

I've seen many apps that wrap timeouts around Vix calls however, so its possible that's what's happening here.

Pedro_BE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, by calling it 'wrong' I meant calling it with incomplete parameters. If the function would have an inherent time out value for a process to run, then not using a value for the time out might have caused this... if I'm making any sense here Smiley Wink

You wouldn't perhaps know a link to a source I can quote to them where the API is detailed? I've been unsuccesful trying to locate one on my own.

0 Kudos
lemke
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here's the man page for the API.  The only API we provide a timeout for is WaitForToolsInGuest()

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vix-api/vix11_reference/lang/c/functions/VixVM_RunProgramIn...

0 Kudos
Pedro_BE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thanks a lot for that.

I shall be knocking on their door again then Smiley Wink

0 Kudos