VMware Cloud Community
daysleeper
Contributor
Contributor

map a physical serial port on esx3.5i

Hi to all,

i have installed esx3.5i on a server and i have migrated a win2003 standard edition to this server, all is working but if i try to map a physical serial port to the vm from infrastructure client the physical com is grey and i can choose only named pipe or file name.

Is possible to resolve this issue? I have forgot something? I need to connect a serial modem to the server for the microsoft fax service.

Thanks and best regards,

Carlo Sagratella.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ocremel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mapping virtual serial port to physical serial port is not supported in the currently shipping version.

daysleeper
Contributor
Contributor

And the esx3.5 standard not the small version support the mapping of physical serial port?!?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ocremel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, it is proxied by the Service Console.

daysleeper
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick response!

I'm wondering if i can update the esx3.5i to esx3.5 without lost the datacenter and the virtual disk inside of it.

Thanks and best regards.

0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would recommend another solution than using a physical serialport in a host. You can buy devices that live on the network like serial, parallel and usb devices. This eliminates that vm's are bound the a physical host and allows you to add more devices. I have a USB dongle on the network because of one of our applications requires it.

0 Kudos