VMware Cloud Community
esxnewb21
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to guest console after importing vmware Image

Hello all,

I installed the trial of esx server the other day, and I have imported my vmware image into the ESX server. Unfortunately after power on the image via the VMI clien I am unable to access the console for the guest image. I receive the error:

"Error connecting: Cannot connect to host "myhostname": A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

Anyone have any ideas what I am missing here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

A few questions

1) Is it just this VM that has the problem?

2) What process did you use to import the VM?

3) Did you upgrade virtual hardware / update VMware tools after the import?

0 Kudos
esxnewb21
Contributor
Contributor

Currently I am only testing with importing this current vmware image, I used the vmware importer tool to point to a vmware server image. I have applied the vmware tools to the image after import, not sure what upgrading the virtual hardware means. One other thing I just noticed, is I have posted in the incorrect forum on this, i am not running ESXi, and just plain ESX.

0 Kudos
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We just ran into the same problem this morning. Our 3.0.1 servers worked fine, but our new 3.5 server would give us the same error when we connected from a desktop install of the VI client. It appears to be the server firewall. When we turn off the server firewall or connect from the VC server, it works. We are currently pursuing the correct commands to configure the firewall to allow us to get console access without leaving the firewall off. If anyone knows the config statements, I would love to hear them.

0 Kudos
esxnewb21
Contributor
Contributor

Is this the firewall on the vc client or is there a firewall on the esx server itself?

0 Kudos
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The ESX server itself has an OS level firewall. To turn it off, you need some command line kung-fu. Also, it looks like we got it working for everyone EXCEPT my Vista client. *&$%# Vista. I will be looking to see if it is the Vista firewall doing it to me now, since my buddy and I can now connect from our XP machines.

**Update**

Rebooting Vista allowed me to connect. It may have been an issue with my DNS cache or just the OS. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best 😕

0 Kudos
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

PS the command to allow all traffic through the OS firewall (from the command line) is:

esxcfg-firewall --allowoutgoing

esxcfg-firewall --allowincoming

You could also disable the firewall service.

0 Kudos
esxnewb21
Contributor
Contributor

I disabled iptables using /etc/init.d/iptables stop, on the esxserver. I still cannot connect to the guest os via console, same error. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

right place, wrong service. I wouldn't mess with iptables but just stop the firewall service.

/etc/init.d/firewall stop

0 Kudos
esxnewb21
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing with firewall stop.

0 Kudos
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Assuming you have restarted the iptables service, there may be another firewall between your client and your ESX box. You are looking for port 902. Remember that the VC server is creating a direct connection from your client to the ESX server, so there may be firewalls in the way. You may also want to see if you can get access to the console by running the VI client from your VC server.

0 Kudos
esxnewb21
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, So I am even able to telnet to port 902, and it connects, but the VI client does not connect.

0 Kudos