VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmotion

Finally I got some funds to build two ESXi hosts.

I had some playing time yesterday with Vmotion and have a few questons.

I was able to do vmotion of a vm machine from one host to another. I noticed vm machine B on host B would be automatically switched to host A if I shutdown host B using the gui console (entered maintenance mode, and shutdown). Would it do the same if host B had a cold shutdown?

Also, my host A has a local datastore. Some of the vm machines are not able to start due to "insufficient resouces....." My guess is that my central storage location does not have enough location. Does that sound correct?

Thanks,

Tnt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was able to do vmotion of a vm machine from one host to another. I noticed vm machine B on host B would be automatically switched to host A if I shutdown host B using the gui console (entered maintenance mode, and shutdown). Would it do the same if host B had a cold shutdown?

No - if you simply powered off host B tVM B would not vmotion - vmotion requires running ESX hosts on both sides -

Also, my host A has a local datastore. Some of the vm machines are not able to start due to "insufficient resouces....." My guess is that my central storage location does not have enough location. Does that sound correct?

This error does not occur due to darastore space but the avaiiable CPU/Memory resources on the house - It typically is caused by the esx host not having resources to satusfy reservations

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No - if you simply powered off host B tVM B would not vmotion - vmotion requires running ESX hosts on both sides -

This error does not occur due to darastore space but the avaiiable CPU/Memory resources on the house - It typically is caused by the esx host not having resources to satusfy reservations

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That figures it. My host A has a total of 8 gb and my newly built host B has 6 GB. I gues it takes the lowest memory host into calculations.

Tnt

0 Kudos