VMware Cloud Community
nikj_dk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No cd to install from! PowerEdge T300.

ESXi 3.5 is running on a Dell PowerEdge T300. I´m trying to install SME Linux from a bootable cd, but the vm reports "Operating system not found" on the console. Events reports no bootable device found.

I guess that means that ESXi cannot detect the cd-rom it was installed from.

In Dell bios, there is no parameters regarding sata that can be changed.

I have tried to install via "Connect DC/DVD. The image can be found, but the vm dos not boot from the image.

How can I install the OS? Or any other OS?

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi currently doesn't support using SATA CD-ROMs in VMs so if you can't switch it to IDE mode then you would have to use an ISO image or client side CD-ROM / ISO.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How about if you put the CD on the workstation and configure the VM to use the "client device" instead of the "host device"? Or convert the CD to an ISO.

nikj_dk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did try that, but the vm only tries to boot via pxe, not anything else. I reports "No operating system found".

0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

Have you checked the boot order of your VM?

Edit settings > Options > Boot Options > Force BIOS Setup - select this

Go to the 'Boot' tab in the PhoenixBIOS and just make sure the order is correct for your needs.

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW, you are certain the CD is bootable, right? (i.e.: you tried booting it in a real physical machine.)

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi currently doesn't support using SATA CD-ROMs in VMs so if you can't switch it to IDE mode then you would have to use an ISO image or client side CD-ROM / ISO.

0 Kudos
nikj_dk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave, you are propably right.

The server is a brand new Dell T300. I have been in contact with Dell support, but they could not help.

I have tried to install from CD/DVD, image and USB stick, but could not make it work. I have had a lot of good experience with VmWare Server, so I am quite surprised esxi does not function on a Dell T300.

I have switched to MS Hyper-V where I can install operating systems.

Thanks for the help.

/nikj_dk

0 Kudos