VMware Cloud Community
MarkW2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help - What is, and what is not available in ESXi 3.5 U4 free version? VIMA? VI Toolkit?

Hi,

I'm trying to find a summary (web-page perhaps) of what is, and in particular what is NOT available in ESXi 3.5 U4 Embedded free version.

Like many people I guess, I've spent hours looking for a way to perform certain operations on virtual disks, only to find that those operations have been prohibited in the free version of ESXi 3.5 U4. That's reasonable - after all, if somebody gives you a horse, don't look in its mouth! But whereas I'm happy to be an ESXi "hobbyist" to a certain extent, I'm beginning to feel like a hacker, and I'm trying to make this experience a little more productive. Here is what I have found so far:

- Some of the more useful features in VMware Tools (like "shrinking virtual disks") seem to have no useful effect in ESXi 3.5 U4 Embedded free version

- The RCLI vmkfstools.pl -E operation to rename (move) a virtual disk and the -i operation to clone (copy / import / export) a virtual disk seem to be disabled (returning fault.RestrictedVersion.summary)

- vim-cmd does not provide anything much beyond what you can do in VI Client

In particular, can anybody tell me whether it's worth investigating the following, i.e. will I be able to do anything at all useful to virtual disks with them in ESXi 3.5 U4 Embedded free version:

- VIMA

- VI Toolkit (for Windows)

Thanks for any help/pointers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Take a look at this article: http://vmetc.com/2009/03/31/esxi-u4-ends-free-version-read-and-write-access-from-the-rcli/, it should provide some background on the whole ESXi and the read-only issue.

Since ESXi was never meant to provide full access to to the VI API, you get what you pay for and in this case you're using the free version so you can accomplish all those tasks with the VI Client, if you want more, you'll have to pay for it.

So first off, vim-cmd is only available with the unsuppoted SSH console and you can probably accomplish most of the basic tasks through some scripted automation such as a shell script, also within the unsupported Busybox console, you have full access to the very familiar vmkfstools. Now, you mention vmkfstools.pl this is the remote version of the tool, since this is not available by default with ESXi (as the unsupported console is not supported by VMware). To remotely manage and configure your ESXi and ESX host, the vCLI was created which replicates majority of the popular esxcfg-* commands which actually uses the VI API

This VI API is not free, you have full read access but if you want to configure/perform any operations that are not read, then you'll need to have a proper license and that is at least Foundation or greater. The API is exposed as WSDL/SOAP and there are various scripting/programming languages that have bindings that hook into the VI API to provide a level of abstractions for administrators/programmers, some of these languages include Microsoft Powershell, Perl, C#, Java, etc.

PowerCLI (formally VI Toolkit Windows) is one such binding which utilizes the VI API, which means to use this you'll need to have the proper license to make configuration changes else you'll only have read access, this is similar for the Perl bindings called vSphere SDK for Perl. So, if you're going to explore other bindings, you'll still run into the same fundamental issue.

Okay, vMA (formally VIMA) is just a VMware RHEL vApp which provides administrators a way to remotely/centrally manage your ESX/ESXi and vCenter servers. It comes default with the vSphere SDK for Perl and few other utilities to help manage/configure your systems and again these rely on the VI API which access be governed based on the licenses you have on your hosts.

So all the options are options but you need to figure out if you're going to get a license, because without the most basic you will not be able to use any of these toolkits. Note, that the license does NOT only give you full read/write access to the API but other features depending on the license you purchase.

There are some other tools that VMware provides that for now has temporarily management capabilities for VMs ONLY, this may change in the near future but take a look at this thread post for more information:

Hopefully this clears everything up.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Take a look at this article: http://vmetc.com/2009/03/31/esxi-u4-ends-free-version-read-and-write-access-from-the-rcli/, it should provide some background on the whole ESXi and the read-only issue.

Since ESXi was never meant to provide full access to to the VI API, you get what you pay for and in this case you're using the free version so you can accomplish all those tasks with the VI Client, if you want more, you'll have to pay for it.

So first off, vim-cmd is only available with the unsuppoted SSH console and you can probably accomplish most of the basic tasks through some scripted automation such as a shell script, also within the unsupported Busybox console, you have full access to the very familiar vmkfstools. Now, you mention vmkfstools.pl this is the remote version of the tool, since this is not available by default with ESXi (as the unsupported console is not supported by VMware). To remotely manage and configure your ESXi and ESX host, the vCLI was created which replicates majority of the popular esxcfg-* commands which actually uses the VI API

This VI API is not free, you have full read access but if you want to configure/perform any operations that are not read, then you'll need to have a proper license and that is at least Foundation or greater. The API is exposed as WSDL/SOAP and there are various scripting/programming languages that have bindings that hook into the VI API to provide a level of abstractions for administrators/programmers, some of these languages include Microsoft Powershell, Perl, C#, Java, etc.

PowerCLI (formally VI Toolkit Windows) is one such binding which utilizes the VI API, which means to use this you'll need to have the proper license to make configuration changes else you'll only have read access, this is similar for the Perl bindings called vSphere SDK for Perl. So, if you're going to explore other bindings, you'll still run into the same fundamental issue.

Okay, vMA (formally VIMA) is just a VMware RHEL vApp which provides administrators a way to remotely/centrally manage your ESX/ESXi and vCenter servers. It comes default with the vSphere SDK for Perl and few other utilities to help manage/configure your systems and again these rely on the VI API which access be governed based on the licenses you have on your hosts.

So all the options are options but you need to figure out if you're going to get a license, because without the most basic you will not be able to use any of these toolkits. Note, that the license does NOT only give you full read/write access to the API but other features depending on the license you purchase.

There are some other tools that VMware provides that for now has temporarily management capabilities for VMs ONLY, this may change in the near future but take a look at this thread post for more information:

Hopefully this clears everything up.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
MarkW2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

William,

Many, many thanks for your post - that's exactly the kind of overview I was hoping for. Actually, I had Googled yesterday and found the link to your article. Knowing that VI API is the common denominator for these tools and that it is read-only in the ESXi 3.5 U4 free version is very helpful - I can proceed accordingly (buy a license or put up with it).

The other thing I need to figure out: Can you recommend a way to reduce a virtual disk size? I made a system disk holding the C:\ drive too big, but it's not worth going through a re-installation.

Thanks again,

Mark

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

np.

Take a look at this article on how to resize your VMDK and your guestOS: http://vsphere-land.com/tips-tricks/re-sizing-virtual-disks

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

MarkW2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I'll investigate these approaches this weekend.

0 Kudos
MarkW2009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VMware vCenter Converter Standalone v4.0.1 "Convert Machine" feature converted my simple VM and reduced the virtual disk size. I had to make the disks 'dynamic' again in the Windows 2003 guest, but no big deal.

However the "Configure Machine" feature has a serious problem retrieving source machine information for another VM that has VMDKs not stored with the VM. It hangs-up and then completely blocks all access to ESXi. I cannot log-on with the VI Client, cannot ssh connect to it, cannot get to the ESXi server console (ALTF2), and cannot do ESXi restart (ALTF12). I can get into Tech Support Mode (ALT+F1 unsupported), but with no 'more' command I cannot see what 'ps' entry might need to be killed. So the only way out is to power down the server. (I'll check other threads to see whether this is a known problem.)

I'll look into the other appoaches...

0 Kudos
vsu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can get into Tech Support Mode (ALT+F1 unsupported), but with no 'more' command I cannot see what 'ps' entry might need to be killed.

Most likely 'less' is available instead (it is present in ESXi 4).

0 Kudos